Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
This program benefits managers at all levels in the municipal sector, as well as provincial government officials who work with municipalities. Participants should have a minimum of three years’ management experience. Participants have included department managers, chief administration officers, chief financial officers, chief librarians, city managers, commissioners, directors, fire chiefs, police chiefs and public health managers.
About the course
Be a "change agent" and advance opportunities across your department or municipality.
Dynamic Employee Engagement in Times of Change (1 day)
Acquire the skills and understanding needed to engage employees and maintain constructive employee relations in unionized and non-unionized settings and in a changing environment.
- Develop a mindset that increases staff engagement
- Learn the levers that have the highest impact on employee morale and engagement
- Understand the contribution organizations, senior managers, local managers and staff make to employee engagement
Negotiation and Collaborative Management Techniques (1 Day)
Master proven techniques for communicating, persuading and using power effectively for collaborative outcomes.
- How and when to use the four different ways of negotiating
- How to remain focused and confident in difficult situations
- How to prepare for negotiations and collaborative outcomes
Leadership Skills for Engaging Others During Change (2 days)
Day 1 – Improve your ability to diagnose the forces necessitating change, as well as how to effectively communicate and influence others to ensure shared commitment to the change.
- Understanding how people respond to change and strategies for overcoming resistance and engaging key stakeholders
- Communicate difficult change news in a way that engenders trust and commitment
- Reconciling polarized viewpoints when implementing changes mandated from above
Day 2 – Sharpen your interpersonal skills in order to be an effective change agent and be able to maintain harmony in the work place.
- Leveraging your strengths and “borrowing” from broader interpersonal skills that you may not be utilizing
- Influencing positively without the use of authority to get results and preserve working relationships
- Building partnerships and gaining support for your recommendations to more senior management and Council
- Teaching tool: Strength Deployment Inventory (SDI)
Insightful Leadership: An Approach to Personal Continuous Development (1 Day)
Through a study of the psychology of leadership, explore and reframe the fundamental actions leaders undertake to manage uncertainty, as well as the interactional parameters required to overcome the strategic and cultural hurdles inherent in the leadership relationship.
- Devise an approach to day-to-day leadership that heightens performance and promotes ongoing development
- Link corporate culture and departmental performance to leadership behaviours
- Analyze and apply the strategic skills required to transform daily interactions into the building blocks of increased leadership vision
For more than 25 years, I’ve helped organizations find their ways to build cultures of trust, inclusion and engagement. Working closely with leaders, we build the conditions for successful staff engagement and equip leaders and contributors with the thinking and behaviors that sustain vitality. ...
Gail Levitt, president of Levitt Communications Inc., is an influential leadership facilitator, coach and mentor with a unique approach that engages and inspires participants to learn and apply both theory and practice for peak performance. Gail offers a wide range of influential leadership topic...
Peter is one of Canada’s leading practitioner-academics in the area of public policy and administration. He has worked as a senior civil servant, chief of staff to a cabinet minister, lobbyist and international consultant. As a professor in the School of Public Policy and Administration, his rese...
Linda Irvine has more than 30 years of leadership and education experience having occupied strategic management, education and executive health portfolios while working with a variety of organizations, governments, hospitals and universities.
Biography JP Gedeon is a nationally recognized, published expert in leadership, leadership psychology, corporate transformation and cultural change. Over the past 20 years, he has held executive level positions in the private, public, academic and association sectors, having developed many of the...
Richard Kercz is an applied psychology consultant, adviser, writer and personal development coach. He advises businesses, individuals, teams and executives on how to use psychology to succeed more consistently at work and life. He maintains both an in-person and email coaching service providing c...
Videos and materials
Read more about Negotiations
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.