Public Sector Advancements (Municipal Leadership)
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Schulich Executive Learning Centre.Full disclaimer.
Be a "change agent" and advance opportunities across your department or municipality.
Dynamic Employee Engagement in Times of Change (1 day)
Acquire the skills and understanding needed to engage employees and maintain constructive employee relations in unionized and non-unionized settings and in a changing environment.
- Develop a mindset that increases staff engagement
- Learn the levers that have the highest impact on employee morale and engagement
- Understand the contribution organizations, senior managers, local managers and staff make to employee engagement
Negotiation and Collaborative Management Techniques (1 Day)
Master proven techniques for communicating, persuading and using power effectively for collaborative outcomes.
- How and when to use the four different ways of negotiating
- How to remain focused and confident in difficult situations
- How to prepare for negotiations and collaborative outcomes
Leadership Skills for Engaging Others During Change (2 days)
Day 1 – Improve your ability to diagnose the forces necessitating change, as well as how to effectively communicate and influence others to ensure shared commitment to the change.
- Understanding how people respond to change and strategies for overcoming resistance and engaging key stakeholders
- Communicate difficult change news in a way that engenders trust and commitment
- Reconciling polarized viewpoints when implementing changes mandated from above
Day 2 – Sharpen your interpersonal skills in order to be an effective change agent and be able to maintain harmony in the work place.
- Leveraging your strengths and “borrowing” from broader interpersonal skills that you may not be utilizing
- Influencing positively without the use of authority to get results and preserve working relationships
- Building partnerships and gaining support for your recommendations to more senior management and Council
- Teaching tool: Strength Deployment Inventory (SDI)
Insightful Leadership: An Approach to Personal Continuous Development (1 Day)
Through a study of the psychology of leadership, explore and reframe the fundamental actions leaders undertake to manage uncertainty, as well as the interactional parameters required to overcome the strategic and cultural hurdles inherent in the leadership relationship.
- Devise an approach to day-to-day leadership that heightens performance and promotes ongoing development
- Link corporate culture and departmental performance to leadership behaviours
- Analyze and apply the strategic skills required to transform daily interactions into the building blocks of increased leadership vision
Who should attend
This program will benefit managers at all levels in the municipal sector. Participants should have a minimum of three years of management experience. This program will also benefit provincial government officials who work with municipalities.
Participants can be:
- CAO/City Manager
- Chief Librarian
- Police Chief
- All Department Managers
- Chief Financial Officer
- Fire Chief
- Public Health Managers
- Managers aspiring to lead