Public Purchasing Law
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Texas LBJ School.Full disclaimer.
Although individuals involved in purchasing activities generally know how to do their jobs well, there are many legal requirements that are involved. Understanding the actual legal requirements of topics such as contract law, the Uniform Commercial Code, the law of agency, negligence, governmental purchasing statutes and other state and federal laws can lead to increased confidence in performing these crucial procurement activities. Additionally, this deeper understanding can contribute to obtaining not only the best value for purchasers, but a deeper comprehension of the necessity for adherence to the specified purchasing procedures.
In this interactive session, through discussion and reviewing cases and examples, students will examine:
- Requirements for a binding, enforceable contract
- Key differences between laws governing contracts for goods and services
- Rules of interpretation and enforcement of contracts
- Crucial concepts of the Uniform Commercial Code for purchasing goods
- Standard contract terms and their application to purchasing activities
- The law of agency and the common law and statutory duties of a principal and agent
- An overview of negligence, warranties, and strict product liability laws
- Selected federal laws, such as antitrust laws as related to purchasing activities
At the conclusion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Explain how their purchasing related activities relate to the relevant laws;
- Examine the terms and conditions of contracts to insure they are as favorable as possible;
- Integrate the knowledge of contract laws to the steps in the procurement process; and,
- Identify potential legal issues in a timely manner.
Who should attend
This program is targeted towards individuals involved in purchasing/procurement activities such as buyers/purchasing agents, buyers and contract administrators.