Public Purchasing 101 – the Basics
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Texas LBJ School.Full disclaimer.
This course provides a basic overview of the purchasing process covering topics in the areas of: Texas Statutory Enabling Authority; Competitive Bidding; Specification Development; Ethics and Liabilities; Contract Management; Internal Customer Service; Internal Controls; and Cooperative Purchasing.
At the conclusion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Employ the best practices in public procurement within the parameters of public purchasing enabling authority;
- Identify various, current purchasing challenges and potential solutions by assessing the impact of decision making related to contract obligations;
- Choose which purchasing method (competitive bidding, competitive sealed proposals, cooperative purchasing, etc.) will provide best value for the agency;
- Establish a procurement process, from sourcing through contract management, that is fair and transparent for suppliers;
- Identify avenues to engender trust with clients, coworkers, and team members;
- Identify and avoid potential conflict between personal interests and those of your employer; and
- Examine the tenets of good internal controls that will not only provide for excellent audit trails, but also minimize opportunities for fraud.
Who should attend
This program is targeted towards individuals involved in purchasing/procurement activities such as purchasing agents, buyers and contract administrators.