Who should attend
- Administrative & Support
- Supervisors, Executive, & Emerging Managers
About the course
The success of many businesses relies on customer satisfaction and a loyal customer base. Dealing head-on with issues regarding an unhappy customer or service breakdown is crucial in keeping those loyal customers.
We have developed a solution that acknowledges that service breakdowns can occur no matter how well you do your job.
Benefits to You
- Addresses how to build a stronger more resilient service culture which will in turn reduce service breakdown frequency.
- Highlights how to turn a service breakdown into a fantastic opportunity to increase customer loyalty and propel the company forward as opposed to being problematic. This solution enables service interface staff and service supervisors to better manage themselves and upset customers, take control of the situation by being assertive as opposed to being passive / aggressive and learn from mistakes and breakdowns.
- To agree on the benefits of superior service to the service providers themselves.
- To consciously apply techniques to enhance you non-verbal communication so as to present yourself professionally and positively.
- To explain the hierarchy of customers’ expectations and better manage the impact that customers’ expectations have on the perceived level of service.
- To understand consistently apply the ‘Superior Service Cycle’ on the telephone and when interacting face-to-face with customers.
- To apply customer-focused language and consistently address the customer’s needs and concerns with tact and professionalism.
- To constructively manage upset customers and turn disagreements and challenges to your advantage.
- To avoid aggressiveness while being assertive and apply practical and effective techniques to take control of and shift emotional states.
- To avoid recurrence of service breakdowns and enhance job enjoyment by getting first- hand customer information and using it for improvements in products and services.
SESSION ONE: INTRODUCTION, PROJECTING A POSITIVE IMAGE AND SERVICE ROLE-PLAY
We will discuss:
- Program’s objectives and the course methodology.
- How the concept of service relates to the image of the department, the organization and the individual providing the service.
- You will develop your individual personal messaging strategy and explore how your professional image relates to the company’s service mission.
- In groups, participants will role-play typical service breakdown situations faced on the job where they have to provide superior service to internal or external customers.
SESSION TWO: VERBAL AND NONVERBAL COMMUNICATION FOR SUPERIOR SERVICE AND ROLE-PLAY REVIEW
- We will explore strategies to improve the perceived level of service by applying customer service language, consciously using the voice and projecting a positive body image.
- The group will review the role-plays and you will identify what behaviors you would like to keep, drop or refine for consistently projecting a positive image verbally, visually and vocally.
SESSION THREE: UNDERSTANDING THE CONCEPT OF SERVICE
- We will discuss the connection between service, expectation management and customer delight.
- After exploring the hierarchy of customers’ expectations, participants brainstorm and relate the concepts learned with real life situations experienced in the company.
SESSION FOUR: PARTS OF A SUPERIOR SERVICE ENCOUNTER
- We will explore the different parts of a service encounter with customers, and how these can be seamlessly integrated, ensuring satisfaction for the client as well as the service provider.
- Conducting a Needs Analysis
- Proposing a Solution & Providing Options
- Getting an Agreement
SESSION ONE: REVIEW OF DAY ONE AND MANAGING YOUR OWN EMOTIONS WHILE MANAGING UPSET CUSTOMERS
- Review of Day One.
- Constructive management of upset customers starts with the effective management of the self. You will learn how the brain is wired and what emotional hijacks are.
- You will be introduced to a mental framework to help you better deal with emotional hijacks - The MAPAC ModelTM.
- You will explore your own emotional support systems and learn simple strategies to help shift out of negative emotional states.
SESSION TWO: MANAGING UPSET CUSTOMERS CONSTRUCTIVELY
- You will be introduced to The ACT 8-Step ModelTM To Turning Difficult Situations Around (ie. a summary and application tool for learning from service breakdowns).
- You will also learn:
- Strategies to turn challenges into opportunities by avoiding aggressiveness while being assertive.
- How to apply active listening and probing skills when identifying specific customer needs to be addressed.
- Influential language.
- A checklist of words and phrases that anger, irritate or belittle the message.
SESSION THREE: LEARNING FROM SERVICE BREAKDOWNS
- You will learn how adults learn (i.e. The Adult Learning Cycle) and how this knowledge applies to service.
- You will learn to defuse as well as turn around explosive situations by asking instead of telling, i.e. applying the concept of coaching to service situations.
- Topics to be covered include:
- Developing your own customer service recovery skills through a customer-centric coaching approach.
- Developing customer recovery skills in others through a customer-centric coaching approach.
- The 5Cs Debriefing Model to enable you to coach yourself and staff members to providing superior service.
SESSION FOUR: FINAL ROLE-PLAY APPLICATION (POTENTIALLY EXPLOSIVE SITUATIONS), INTEGRATION AND DEVELOPMENT PLAN
- We will simulate a service-based potentially explosive situation. This session will be video-taped.
- Participants will then be given two checklists, which they will be able to use back at the workplace:
- Service Breakdown Learning Checklist
- Coaching Performance Self-assessment Checklist
- Participants reflect on the day’s learnings and use their own knowledge and skills for coaching and educating each other.
- Participants develop a Personal Development Plan to support continuous learning on the job.
Paula Marcondes is the founder and principal consultant of a consultancy. Ms Marcondes is an insightful and dynamic consultant with 16 years of experience in corporate training and 5 years of experience in the executive coaching arenas conducting needs analysis, programme planning, curriculum dev...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.