Comprehensive course analysis
For a limited time only $40.00 $20.00Order
Who should attend
The course emphasizes the strategic, organizational and management aspects of projects. As such the technical (including computational) detail is minimal, and included for completeness purposes. We therefore recommend the course for middle and senior managers (including project managers) in all industries (public and private) that deal with projects. So widespread is the use of projects that we believe project management skills are likely to acquire greater prominence in virtually all industries.
About the course
Project management is now generally considered a critical business skill. By some estimates over 60% of business is conducted in the form of projects. And yet, a lot of projects in both the public and private sectors are persistently late and over budget. Project management skills can no longer be relegated to a few so-called project managers in the organisation. They need to be disseminated more widely as many organisations move towards a project-oriented structure to emphasize greater accountability and efficiency in execution. Furthermore, we cannot confine ourselves to single projects; the ability to manage a program of several projects concurrently under tight budgetary and resource constraints is an essential skill. In recent years projects have acquired a much greater strategic dimension. It is not only necessary to execute projects successfully, but it is even more important to choose to do the right projects in the first place. After all, the right portfolio of projects constitutes the firm’s business strategy. This four day course discusses all of the above aspects of project management.
- The principal objectives of the P3M course are as follows:
- Understand the essential ingredients of project success – roles, responsibilities, organization, team work, and processes.
- Gain proficiency in the tools and techniques of project management – planning, controlling, and implementation.
- Appreciate the additional constraints imposed by program management.
- Understand the strategic nature of enterprise project management – projection evaluation, selection,portfolio criteria.
- Develop software expertise for the management of projects.
The course contents are grouped into the following categories:
- Project fundamentals: The topics covered include Risk Management, Commercials, Team Performance, and Stakeholder Communications.
- Tools: These comprise the “science” of project management – WBS and estimation, Realistic scheduling and resources, Budget and cash flow, Monitoring progress and the Earned Value Method.
- Some Extensions: Project dynamics, Common project problems, “Agile” project management.
- Enterprise Project Management: program management, Real time options, Portfolio selection and management.
- MS Project: Software fundamentals through the use of MS Project.
Anshuman Tripathy has been a faculty member in the Production & Operations Management Area since 2011. He was previously a faculty member at IIM Ahmedabad. His research and teaching interests are in the areas of Product Development, Engineering and Development Organisations, and Operations St...
Sudhir Chadha is a graduate of IIT Kanpur, andobtained his doctorate in theoretical physics at the University of Oxford where he was a Rhodes Scholar. He then pursued research in theoretical particle physics first at the Niels Bohr Institute in Copenhagen (as a Royal Society European Fellow), the...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.