Who should attend
- Experienced project managers, program managers, operations managers, team leaders, PMO managers and others who are currently or about to be involved in the selection and prioritization of projects and programs
- Other senior managers and executives who manage or oversee projects in an organizational context
- Five or more years of project or general management experience is highly recommended
About the course
Designed for experienced project leaders and executives who oversee projects in an organizational context, this course describes a disciplined process for linking the organization’s strategy with its project work. Interpret company strategy, and use the strategy to drive better portfolio management and project team leadership. Establish sound procedures for portfolio governance, and develop project execution processes that support organizational objectives.
Benefits for you
- Understand how organizational strategy drives all project initiatives
- Align the portfolio with organizational strategy
- Build a pragmatic approach to portfolio management
- Develop and maintain an effective governance structure
- Choose projects that will best support company strategy
- Apply proven techniques to effectively manage the portfolio
- Use monitoring techniques to gauge and report portfolio performance
- The portfolio management framework: the link between organizational strategy, portfolios and projects; portfolio vs. program vs. project management
- Building the portfolio: defining organizational and project benefits, resources and risks; selecting the right mix of projects to support company strategy; doing the right projects, at the right time, with the right people; maintaining a pipeline of projects
- Managing the portfolio: monitoring planned outcomes, using warning systems, conducting quality and risk reviews, defining resource allocation, constraints and trade-offs throughout the organization, managing politics, prioritizing existing vs. new projects
- Developing a structured portfolio process and establishing governance: components of disciplined portfolio management; customizing the approach to suit your organization, integrating your portfolio with other portfolios, fostering continuous process improvement, establishing effective portfolio governance
You will be grouped into teams that will work together in real-world project environments. Each team will use the techniques presented in the workshop, enabling you to experience the process of collaborative planning firsthand.
Denise is the founder and Managing Partner of Collaborators In Knowledge Inc. She brings more than 40 years of practical experience in managing, auditing and rescuing multi-million dollar projects. She has also trained thousands of students from the private and public sectors in the best practice...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.