Project Management for Non-Project Managers
Many business professionals are not interested in becoming a formal project manager, but will benefit from the essential tools needed to get projects done faster, with fewer surprises and problems. Participants will learn the 1-3-5 approach, a clear and easy to understand process for project management success. Whether you’re leading your first project, struggling to get through the long list of projects on your to-do list, or want to avoid the problems of the last big project failure, this course will benefit you.
How You Will Benefit
- Learn the one critical question that all project leaders need ask at the beginning of any project that will help determine a project implementation approach, project cost, project schedule, and conflicts to expect throughout the project lifecycle
- Practice and use a simple three-step framework to reach project success
- Understand how the three steps are in alignment with more formal methodologies such as phase-based waterfall project management, agile project management, and continuous improvement activities such as Lean and Six Sigma.
- Use and apply five streamlined tools and templates that can help a project of any size get done faster, lessen scope creep, and reduce project meeting fatigue. The tools are easy to understand and implement without any project management jargon
- Explore how the 1-3-5 approach can be scaled to larger project initiatives and diagnose what the common root causes are to failed large scale initiatives
- Roadmap of the 1-3-5 approach and review of resources available outside of the course
- Project foundations and an introduction to the in-class case
- Elements of effective project plans and managing time effectively in project environments
- Managing change in project environments and dealing with conflicts that inevitably occur
- Keeping everyone focused on the successful outcomes
- Learning from a troubled project
- Action planning and next steps
Includes breakfast, lunch, and breaks
- Check-In and Breakfast 7:30 a.m. - 8:15 a.m.
- Course 8:15 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Dinner 4:30–10 p.m.
Who should attend
Anyone who desires to improve their project management skills to better meet business objectives, even if they’ve never managed a project before.