Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
Entrepreneurs, finance professionals, executives and finance students will all benefit and add skills to their knowledge base that will set them apart in the corporate environment.
About the course
This course is intended to give a practical and theoretical understanding of the Private Equity (PE) industry as well as a deep dive into a simulated private equity transaction.
A working knowledge of PE is a critical skill in the finance profession, which many misunderstand. Participants will be exposed to lecturers and guest speakers who are active in the industry. Guest speakers will be allied professions that feed into, and are utilised by PE. The course design will be underpinned by a strong theoretical and concept based teaching approach.
It will focus on established, later-stage investments and explore the eco-system that surrounds the industry.
KEY THEMES COVERED WILL INCLUDE:
- How to source and select good businesses using the 1% rule of thumb
- How to value businesses and manage the risk of that value being eroded, by utilising structuring, due diligence and active management
- How to select and focus on value creation strategies, with the approach analogous to the cricketing analogy of a test match versus a 20/20 strategy
- How to build and incentivise management teams around effective strategies.
- An understanding of how PE funds are established, the key processes, objectives and how they differ
- A sound knowledge of how PE players source, value and make investments, and manage risk
- An understanding of how value can be created within PE-owned businesses
- The ability to apply PE principles to other investment/corporate firms
- An understanding of PE’s role in the overall economy.
Mark is a director at Banksia Capital, a private-equity fund in Perth. He has worked as a private-equity investor for 17 years. He has served on the boards of over 20 companies in Europe, Asia and Australia and has experience operating in an interim capacity as CEO, CFO and Chairman. He has bro...
My career has always been a blend of academics and business development. I have held academic positions and business development positions. I have attained four degrees – culminating in my PhD: Business Management (University of Pretoria), Master of Commerce: Financial Management (University of P...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.