Who should attend
The course is geared towards potential and existing investors in this asset class, entrepreneurs seeking to interact with the asset class, consultants and service providers. Participants are drawn from insurance companies, investment banks, pension funds, venture and private equity firms, family businesses, private investors, investment groups, angel investors, incubators and accelerators. The course will be relevant for entrepreneurs seeking to raise funds in this asset class as a means of understanding the mind of the investor to help in preparing their organizations for funding. Service providers who will greatly benefit from this training include accountants, lawyers and finance professionals.
About the course
Most investors understand how to evaluate and make investments in traditional asset classes such as equities, bonds and cash. Recently, there has been significant downward pressure on returns from these asset classes with the risks involved also soaring. This has necessitated individuals, asset managers, insurance companies, pension funds and investment groups to take a keener look at alternative asset classes to diversify risks and bolster returns. This course is geared towards one of the alternative asset classes like private equity, loosely defined to cover angel, venture and private equity investing. It aims to provide the participants with the necessary skills to evaluate, value, structure, negotiate, invest in and manage investments within this asset class. This course is geared towards one of the alternative asset classes i.e. private equity, loosely defined to cover angel, venture and private equity investing. It aims to provide the participants with the necessary skills to evaluate, value, structure, negotiate, invest in and manage investments within this asset class.
Within this asset class, this course aims to:
- To aid the understanding of this asset class, its risks, potential returns and how to incorporate it into a portfolio of other asset classes.
- To explore the key value addition channels that aid in creation of superior returns/ above average returns.
- To build skills of the participant in evaluation, valuation, structuring and negotiation of investments within this asset class.
- To review and understand different exit strategies for investments within this asset class.
- To network with industry practitioners and exchange views on best practice on various aspects.
Key Learning Outcomes
Some topics to be covered include:
- Understanding the position of alternative asset classes in your portfolio
- Evaluating a private equity opportunities
- Valuation principles
- Negotiations and deal structuring
- Value addition
- Investment exit
- Interact with and learn from leading industry practitioners
- Learn using up to date case studies which simulate real deal scenarios
- Get access to online financial modelling content on valuation to compliment your learning at highly discounted prices
- Interact with participants from different countries, sectors and backgrounds
This is not an introductory course, it will take a deep dive into key concepts and issues within this asset class. While no technical prerequisites are required a general understanding of investments and the investment process is required.
This programme aims to provide the participants with necessary skills to evaluate, value, structure, negotiate, invest in and manage investments within this asset class. Four key themes help to structure the delegate’s learning and to integrate the skills development process:
- Strategic Frameworks and Industry Background
- The Practitioner’s Toolkit
- Applying the Tools
- Practical Perspectives
The PE/VC industry is examined using a number of strategic profiling dimensions:
- Different industry sectors
- Different stages of investment
- Different types of advisory services
The different stages of the PE/VC Value Chain are used to organise a “Practitioner’s Toolkit” in terms of key analytical methodologies:
- Post Investment
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.