Who should attend
Those who review cost benefit analysis, those who are responsible for making decisions that involve resource allocations, and those who are responsible for making decisions that involve policy choices.
About the course
In both government and industry we regularly have to evaluate cost-benefit analyses before implementing program and procurement projects that are large and small in scale. This two-day workshop will help participants become knowledgeable consumers of cost estimates and cost-benefit analyses, with a focus on the C in cost-benefit analysis. In addition the course will address what it means to be informed, including knowing the strengths and weaknesses of the cost-benefit analysis approach, the role of risk and uncertainty, sensitivity analysis, and knowing the right questions to ask when you are the recipient of a cost-benefit analysis.
What You Will Learn
- The reliability and credibility of your decisions as underpinned by data and analysis
- How cost estimating underpins the decision process in both public and private arenas
- The strengths and weaknesses of a cost-benefit analysis and the associated metrics that are used in these analyses
- An introduction to the discipline of cost estimating
- How to answer the ever present questions of "what does it cost?" and "is it worth the cost?”
- The ability to understand and to probe cost-benefit analyses that are brought to you
- The ability to read models produced by Monte Carlo simulations
Dan Nussbaum is the Principal for the Energy Academic Group, and provides leadership to various Executive Education programs. He teaches courses in Cost Estimating and Analysis, mentors students throughout their graduate coursework, including their masters theses, and provides Cost Estimating and...
Mike Lionais, CPA, CMA, is currently the Executive Director of the Costing Centre of Expertise for the Treasury Board of Canada. He has been an executive with the federal public service for the past six years. Previously, he served in the Canadian Forces for 20 years. Mike has previously develo...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.