Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.
About the course
In a world in which most organisations, communities, and societies face enormous challenges, the practice of leadership is critical. This course introduces participants to conceptual as well as practical understandings of modern leadership theories. Participants develop an understanding of the relationship between key concepts – leadership, management, authority, power and influence. They thereby gain a practical, coherent framework useful for their future courses of action.
This course includes conceptual models, self-assessment tools and simulation exercises to help you develop your own influence style and understand political dynamics as they unfold around you. The course provides you with the opportunity to observe effective and ineffective uses of power in different organisational contexts and career stages. By design, this course will challenge you to define for yourself what will constitute the responsible exercise of power and influence in your life. The objectives of the course are to help you:
- Develop a conceptual framework for understanding power and influence. You should be able to define power and influence and begin to appreciate how essential they are for your own career.
- Practice diagnostic skills that will enable you to map out the political landscape, understand others' perspectives and power bases, and learn to predict and influence their actions.
- Assess your own power bases and develop your own strategy for building and exercising power and influence ethically and responsibly.
The course relies on a mix of traditional case studies, biographical case studies of historical figures, exercises/simulations, films, and guest visits. The exposure to the development and use of power in many different social settings and at various points in history allows a comprehensive analysis of power in action.
This seminar is offered in the open enrolment programme and as part of the Executive MPA programme.
It can also be completed as part of the
- Certificate in Leadership and Management
- Certificate in Public Sector Innovation
- Certificate in Global Policy and Diplomacy
- Certificate in Leadership in Business, Politics and Society (with ESCP Europe)
- Hertie School Leadership Programme
Johanna Mair is Professor for Organization, Strategy and Leadership at the Hertie School of Governance. Her research focuses on how novel organisational and institutional arrangements generate economic and social development. Mair is also the Distinguished Fellow at the Stanford Center on Philant...