Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with eCornell.Full disclaimer.
This foundational-level live, synchronous certificate program provides an introduction to the key management issues facing the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries. The perspective is global, with an emphasis on the U.S. as the largest and most profitable market.
This 5-week course meets in a live online web-conference format for 90 minutes Mondays and Wednesdays from 5:00pm - 6:30pm ET, from Monday February 4, 2019 to Wednesday March 6, 2019.
Over the course of 5 weeks, Professor Nicholson with guide you through discussions on:
- Rapid technological change and substantial investments in research and development (R&D)
- The role of biotechnology and genomics in transforming the industry
- A complex global marketplace where customers include governments and private health insurers as well as physicians, pharmacists, and individual patients
- Government regulation of every dimension of the business including the safety and efficacy of drugs, pricing, manufacturing, and marketing
- Continually evolving mergers, joint ventures, and alliances
- Global products and multinational firms with growing tension between the needs and ability to pay for different market segments
Throughout your experience in this certificate program you will work on a project that follows the life cycle of a drug of your choosing.
KEY COURSE TAKEAWAYS
- Understand the research and development process for a drug, including how a company makes key drug development decisions
- Articulate the scientific steps needed to get a drug approved by the FDA
- Describe the key patents on a drug, when they were filed, and how the timing affects market exclusivity
- Understand how government policy and legal strategies affect when generic and biosimilar companies can enter the market
- Conduct competitive research in a given drug class or disease area
- Discover how R&D and patent decisions affect the positioning and life cycle of a drug
- Anticipate the pros and cons of a merger, acquisition, or alliance opportunity based on empirical research
- Articulate and critique the market strategy for a given drug class or disease area
WHAT YOU'LL EARN
- Pharmaceutical Management Certificate from Cornell School of Human Ecology
- 30 Professional Development Hours
Who should attend
- Entry to mid-level pharmaceutical professionals responsible for or looking to move into drug development and discovery
- Pharmaceutical professionals involved in marketing, branding, sales, and business development
- Pharmaceutical professionals involved in medical affairs, managed markets, manufacturing, or distribution
- Health insurance professionals
- Appropriate for domestic and international audiences
- Graduate and undergraduate students in biotech or healthcare-related studies