Who should attend
HR directors, HR business partners, OD partners and other leaders and professionals charged with setting up or delivering OD capability through their function or role.
About the course
Building OD capability: Strategy and execution
Organisational development (OD) can be used as a proactive, continuous approach to facilitate better business performance. It can create a culture shift, reducing staff turnover and making an organisation more productive - for short term performance improvement and long term capability development. Despite this many organisations are not currently utilising an integrated OD approach, and HR professionals and others working with OD often struggle to articulate exactly what OD is and the value it offers.
Through theory, practical examples and discussion this 1-day masterclass will cover:
- What OD is and isn’t (with context)
- Linking strategy and execution - with a focus on tools, tactics and tips for driving value
- How OD is approached in other organisations and how to use it effectively in your own organisation
- How to drive and communicate the benefits of OD within your organisation.
You will learn how to define and position the contribution of OD in your organisation and articulate this in the workplace, building your own credibility.
This OD masterclass gives you not only the knowledge and skills needed but also the understanding and confidence to use this, with traction, back in your organisation.
The Henley HR masterclass difference
Our four HR masterclasses are all delivered with a focus on organisational context; participants are encouraged to consider and discuss their own challenges. With each topic we look at the relevant technical information alongside the soft skills needed, ensuring participants have the confidence and credibility to use their knowledge effectively back in the workplace.
Henley HR masterclasses:
- Are designed and delivered by a programme director who is an experienced senior HR professional and a skilled facilitator, and who has undertaken research into the HR discipline
- Have immediate practical takeaways such as an action plan aligned with personal learning objectives
- Ensure a setting with greater empathy – Henley faculty understand the increasing complexity of the HR role
- Provide peer-networking and a relevant support network to take away.
Who is the Organisational Development Masterclass for?
This masterclass is designed for HR directors, HR business partners, OD partners and other leaders and professionals charged with setting up or delivering organisational development capability through their function or role.
What is organisational development?
- Is it an HR discipline? What is its scope?
- Ways of looking at and talking about OD which are appropriate to your business.
Key skills needed to be an OD practitioner
- Assessing the Big 4 essential personal attributes - Change Tinkerer, Systems Thinker, Business Translator and Self-Balancer
- Other skills required
- Model how capable your HR function and individuals are to deliver OD.
OD and business partnering
- The role of the OD practitioner (versus other HR roles)
- Reviewing typical OD accountabilities
- Building credibility
- Personal and organisational challenges. Is your organisation ready for an OD partner?
Useful systems and models
- A systems thinking perspective
- The concept of an organisational strategy and OD plans
- Tools and approaches to help you work with and add value to the business.
- Ability to position and communicate the contribution of OD to your business in a simple, commercial yet innovative way
- Understand what is needed to deliver OD successfully, at individual and functional levels, and to support functional and individual development plans
- Gain a realistic view of the challenges
- Real-life case studies and examples bring the application of OD to life; take away tools to be able to apply these lessons to your organisation.
For your organisation
- Develops a broader, integrated perspective on the organisational capability needed to deliver the business strategy
- Helps those involved in OD balance (and communicate) long and short term benefits, and deliver change in shorter timescales
- Ensures the business has the tools to diagnose, measure and track productivity improvements.
Paul has over 25 years of international experience in leading consultancies. His client experience spans all market sectors, including clients such as Network Rail, DHL, Bank of England, HM Treasury, BAE Systems, Swiss Re and Siemens. Paul is a founder of the European Organisational Design Forum...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.