Who should attend
- Federal executives and GS-15 managers across all government agencies;
- Chief Data Officers across state.
About the course
With enactment of the Foundations for Evidence-Based Policymaking Act in early 2019 and new requirements taking effect, a growing need exists for senior leaders across the federal government to understand the law’s implications and how to meaningfully apply data governance and management models. This course introduces key concepts from the Federal Data Strategy to senior leaders and demonstrates how their teams can manage and use data more effectively.
By the end of the class, students will be able to:
- Drive organizational change by formulating a data action plan for their agency based on the Federal Data Strategy;
- Conduct a data inventory that assesses gaps or strengths in operations, existing standards and management policies;
- Share data between governmental units following legal and technical protocols and data governance best practices;
- Build public trust by translating stakeholder feedback into policy development;
- Understand the strategies necessary to provide the appropriate structure, policies and resources for the protection and privacy of strategic data assets;
- Implement management actions to cascade the data action plan strategy through organizational ranks and provide support and accountability to ensure outcomes; and
- Enhance their Individual Development Plans to acquire the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to support the federal data strategy and address the executive core qualifications and performance objectives of senior positions.
Nick Hart is the President of the Data Foundation. Prior to joining the Data Foundation, Hart was Director of the Bipartisan Policy Center’s Evidence Project. In that capacity, he championed a strategy for implementing the bipartisan recommendations issued by the U.S. Commission on Evidence-Based...
Megan is an expert communicator, storyteller and strategist who is driven by the desire to create a behavioral change in society through communication. She is passionate about using her expertise to advance client goals and share their story. Previously, Megan was the Director of Brand Managemen...
Tyler Kleykamp was the State of Connecticut’s first Chief Data Officer (CDO) and one of the first state Chief Data Officers in the nation. In his role as CDO Tyler led Connecticut’s efforts to use data to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of state programs, policies, and services. He over...
Amy O’Hara is a Research Professor in the Massive Data Institute and Executive Director of the Federal Statistical Research Data Center at the McCourt School for Public Policy. She also leads the Administrative Data Research Initiative, improving secure, responsible data access for research and e...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.