Who should attend
- Product managers and brand managers responsible for introducing new products
- Anyone wishing to manage a new product development project
- New product development project team members who wish to better understand and contribute to the process
About the course
Effective management of new product development
New product development (NPD) is the life blood of many organisations. It drives growth, customer value and return to shareholders. Through a combination of theory, practical examples, New Zealand case studies and group discussions, participants of this course learn how to:
- Pick the right ideas and position their projects for success
- Effectively manage the projects, focusing on timely delivery within budget and scope
- Manage conflicts and negotiate successful outcomes
- Create an effective team
- Fast-track their projects
The course covers all aspects of new product development with a particular focus on project management. Topics will include:
- The "fuzzy front end"
- Portfolio management
- Strategic planning
- Concept development
- Initial high-level feasibility assessment
- Defining scope, time and cost
- Managing progress, risk and change
- Management of multi-disciplinary teams – team establishment, motivation, negotiation and influencing
The course includes a discussion of effective NPD projects in a New Zealand business context.
This course is highly interactive, including small group work, role plays, breakout sessions and open forum discussion of issues. The primary objective of the course is to provide practical hands-on techniques and approaches that can be applied immediately in the field. A set of basic project management tools and templates in electronic form is made available to participants to customise for use in their own work environment.
- Improve your ability to manage the NPD process from end to end, ensuring it is well planned and executed
- Understand how to effectively organise, coordinate and motivate a multi-disciplinary team
- Develop techniques for dealing with typical issues that arise during the NPD process
Your organisational will:
- Get new products to market faster and cheaper
- Get more productivity out of your new product development teams
- Reduce intergroup conflict and inefficiency in the new product development process
Rob Verkerk has more than 30 years’ operational management, project management, event management and consulting experience. He is the Managing Director of Scope Services Ltd, a project management consultancy and training organisation. Rob is currently actively engaged in major project management...
Saskia van der Geest MSc. is an active consultant and coach in the field of New Product Development. She helps management teams to improve profitability and market share through setting up their organisations to predictably deliver a continuous stream of profitable high quality new products (or s...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.