Negotiation Skills: Getting to Win-Win Outcomes
We are in negotiation almost constantly — in our careers and in daily life. The outcome depends greatly on our understanding of the negotiation and communication process.
As life becomes more complex and the world more diverse, your ability to use negotiation skills becomes more important. Negotiation requires time and patience. By using the negotiation strategies and skills suggested in this course, you can make conflict resolution a regular part of your approach to managing relationships at home, at work and in the community. Negotiation can serve not only to preserve relationships, but to continually strengthen and improve them.
Negotiation is most successful when both sides:
- Recognize the value of a relationship and have a mutual desire to continue it.
- Participate actively in the process.
- Show consideration and acceptance of each other's perspectives, values, beliefs and goals.
- Separate personality from the issue involved.
- Work together to develop a solution everyone can accept.
The objectives of this course are to develop negotiation skills experientially and to learn useful analytical frameworks for understanding negotiations. Emphasis is placed on realistic negotiation exercises and role playing. The exercises serve as catalysts for the evaluation and discussion of different types of negotiation situations.
- Know when to cooperate and when to compete in negotiations
- Realize better outcomes and close stronger deals
- Utilize essential analytical elements to focus your efforts and prepare successfully
- Gain a new sense of confidence when negotiating
Who should attend
This course is appropriate for executives and company representatives at any corporate level who desire a sharper edge in the art of negotiating. This course teaches the theory and basics of negotiation and is not intended for highly experienced negotiators of complex agreements.