Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.
Who should attend
This program is for all negotiators – from neophytes to veteran negotiators, including managers, executives, entrepreneurs, lawyers and professionals who work in business development, sales, purchasing, marketing, fund-raising, labour relations and project or product management.
About the course
This action-oriented program will improve your bargaining power and provide you with a variety of practical strategies and tactics to become a successful negotiator in any context. Collaborative negotiation principles and techniques are explored through role-plays, case studies, and videotaped simulations. Self-analysis, feedback, debriefing and coaching will help you analyze and improve your style. You will learn how to achieve successful, win-win outcomes for both negotiating parties.
Key Benefits & Takeaways
- Gather information and plan negotiations that succeed
- Adapt your negotiation style to any situation
- Know when an agreement can be reached and when to walk away
- Negotiate one-on-one, in teams, and with multiple partners and issues
- Use your negotiating ability to influence others
- Improve your decision-making skills
- Apply the Negotiation Situation Analysis Tool to your own negotiations
- Why do you negotiate?
- With whom do you negotiate?
- What defines successful negotiation?
Know Yourself, Your Team and the Other Side
- Understanding individual negotiating styles
- Gauging your team’s skills and resources, strengths and weaknesses
- Assessing your counterpart’s profile and style
- The characteristics of successful negotiators
- Negotiation Case 1: focus on styles
Elements of Negotiation
- Knowing the five key elements in the negotiation process
- Focusing on values and needs: yours and theirs
- Preparing for negotiations using the Negotiation Situation Analysis Tool
- Negotiation Case 2: planning tools and elements
Tactics for Win-Win Negotiations
- Identifying the behavioural tactics used in negotiating
- Choosing the most effective tactics for each situation
- Assessing issues and concerns
- Negotiating by phone and e-mail
- Tactics exercise and scenarios
Stages of Negotiation
- Focusing on the relationship between the negotiators
- Identifying issues and concerns
- Reframing the issues and find common ground
- Matching the tactics to negotiation stages
An Integrated Approach
- Understanding win-win negotiation strategy
- Managing competitive and cooperative dimensions of bargaining
- Integrating your negotiating profile, elements, tactics and stages
Multi-Party Multi-Issue Negotiation
- Engaging with strategies and tactics of multi-party negotiation
- Formulating a multi-party, multi-issue agreement
- Team Negotiation Case 3: using the integrated approach
Negotiating in Difficult Situations
- Dealing with difficult people
- Managing and defusing attacks
- Addressing participants’ specific challenges
Preparation of Action Plans
- Transferring your new skills to the work environment
- Continuing improvement using the Negotiation Situation Analysis Tool
Dr. Morna Flood Consedine has trained numerous corporations and government organizations to negotiate partnerships and joint ventures; she works throughout North and South America, Europe, South Asia and Africa with leaders in aerospace, telecommunications, pharmaceuticals and finance. She has co...
Videos and materials
Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.