Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
This program is for all negotiators – from neophytes to veteran negotiators, including managers, executives, entrepreneurs, lawyers and professionals who work in business development, sales, purchasing, marketing, fund-raising, labour relations and project or product management.
About the course
This action-oriented program will improve your bargaining power and provide you with a variety of practical strategies and tactics to become a successful negotiator in any context. Collaborative negotiation principles and techniques are explored through role-plays, case studies, and videotaped simulations. Self-analysis, feedback, debriefing and coaching will help you analyze and improve your style. You will learn how to achieve successful, win-win outcomes for both negotiating parties.
Key Benefits & Takeaways
- Gather information and plan negotiations that succeed
- Adapt your negotiation style to any situation
- Know when an agreement can be reached and when to walk away
- Negotiate one-on-one, in teams, and with multiple partners and issues
- Use your negotiating ability to influence others
- Improve your decision-making skills
- Apply the Negotiation Situation Analysis Tool to your own negotiations
- Why do you negotiate?
- With whom do you negotiate?
- What defines successful negotiation?
Know Yourself, Your Team and the Other Side
- Understanding individual negotiating styles
- Gauging your team’s skills and resources, strengths and weaknesses
- Assessing your counterpart’s profile and style
- The characteristics of successful negotiators
- Negotiation Case 1: focus on styles
Elements of Negotiation
- Knowing the five key elements in the negotiation process
- Focusing on values and needs: yours and theirs
- Preparing for negotiations using the Negotiation Situation Analysis Tool
- Negotiation Case 2: planning tools and elements
Tactics for Win-Win Negotiations
- Identifying the behavioural tactics used in negotiating
- Choosing the most effective tactics for each situation
- Assessing issues and concerns
- Negotiating by phone and e-mail
- Tactics exercise and scenarios
Stages of Negotiation
- Focusing on the relationship between the negotiators
- Identifying issues and concerns
- Reframing the issues and find common ground
- Matching the tactics to negotiation stages
An Integrated Approach
- Understanding win-win negotiation strategy
- Managing competitive and cooperative dimensions of bargaining
- Integrating your negotiating profile, elements, tactics and stages
Multi-Party Multi-Issue Negotiation
- Engaging with strategies and tactics of multi-party negotiation
- Formulating a multi-party, multi-issue agreement
- Team Negotiation Case 3: using the integrated approach
Negotiating in Difficult Situations
- Dealing with difficult people
- Managing and defusing attacks
- Addressing participants’ specific challenges
Preparation of Action Plans
- Transferring your new skills to the work environment
- Continuing improvement using the Negotiation Situation Analysis Tool
Dr. Morna Flood Consedine has trained numerous corporations and government organizations to negotiate partnerships and joint ventures; she works throughout North and South America, Europe, South Asia and Africa with leaders in aerospace, telecommunications, pharmaceuticals and finance. She has co...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.