Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.
Who should attend
- Seasoned professionals who want to improve their conflict management skills
- Sales and marketing managers, merger and acquisition professionals, entrepreneurs, purchasing managers and human resource professionals
- Government administrators and administrators of not-for-profit organizations
- Managers coordinating across functions, businesses or cultures
- Family businesses
- Team leaders
About the course
There is a science to transforming conflict into collaboration. As the business world becomes more complex, a collaborative culture is essential within all types of institutions from small businesses to global organizations. As change becomes a bigger constant, there will inevitably be disagreement on how to move forward. However, these changes will present growth opportunity.
In this highly interactive program, you will learn to use the fundamental structure of conflict management to move from conflict to collaboration acting either as a party in a conflict or as a third-party facilitator. You will learn how to defuse anger, repair broken trust and rebuild stressed relationships with peers, subordinates, superiors, clients and customers. You will learn how to leverage the challenges of a diverse workgroup into opportunities that incubate creativity. Participants will engage in realistic conflict simulations that challenge them to manage emotions, agendas and to achieve organizational success.
- Learn conflict management strategies to transform conflict into collaboration
- Understand the fundamental structure of conflict
- De-escalate conflict as an involved party or as a third party facilitator (superior or peer)
- Recognize your personal conflict style
- Manage angry clients
- Resolve potentially destructive, emotionally charged disputes
Negotiating with Colleagues and Business Partners
- Understand Interests — the reasons why people are in conflict
- Understand Rights — the reasons why people think they should prevail
- Understand Power — the assets people have to impose their will on others
Multi-party Negotiation across Silos and Business Units
- Leverage interests, rights, and power to transform conflict into collaboration
- Understand agreement types designed to meet mutually beneficial goals
- Engage diverse groups and teams
- Defuse anger, develop trust and build relationships
Managing Negative Emotions
- Analyze your own reaction to anger in the workplace
- Learn productive ways to direct negative emotions
- Distinguish between anger as a tactic and anger as frustration
- Learn how to turn negative emotions into collaboration
- Learn constructive ways to address emotions
Addressing Diversity and Conflict
- Understand power, gender and ethics
- Acknowledge personalities
- Discover how to motivate parties
Leading Third Parties, Peers and Superiors in Dispute Resolution
- Learn the skills of effective third parties in conflict management
- Learn to use a third party to help you manage conflict and help you arrive at mutual interests
- Recognize that third parties in organizations are not neutral and have power
- Faculty-authored books
- Live simulations of workplace conflict scenarios
- Post-program: Videos and templates you can use with your team and in your organization to optimally manage conflict
Leigh Thompson is the J. Jay Gerber Professor of Dispute Resolution & Organizations in the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University. She is the director of the Kellogg Team and Group Research Center, the Kellogg Leading High Impact Teams Executive program, and co-director of th...
Lauren Rivera is an expert on selection procedures and has written extensively on hiring and promotion practices in elite professional service firms. Her award-winning book Pedigree: How Elite Students Get Elite Jobs (Princeton University Press, 2015) investigates hiring decisions for top-tier in...
Videos and materials
Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.