Who should attend
This program is designed for public administration professionals and is not suitable for elected officials. This program is ideal if you:
- Are a mid to senior-level manager who leads one or more teams
- Are interested in further developing effective management and leadership skills in a municipal setting
- Face competing priorities and want to learn how to make more informed decisions that benefit all stakeholders
About the course
Become a more effective municipal leader and gain a deep understanding of yourself. Learn how to overcome challenges through strategy and leadership.
Why This Program?
The Municipal Management and Leadership Program, delivered in partnership with the University of Alberta, develops municipal leaders by increasing their capacity to lead people, teams, departments, and organizations. As a participant of this program, you will gain a deep understanding of yourself as a leader. You will learn to shift your focus from day-to-day tasks to strategically achieving your municipality’s goals while managing change and stakeholder expectations through effective leadership. Throughout the program’s duration, you will form long-lasting networks with like-minded managers in your cohort, which will prove themselves valuable as your learning continues in your future day-to-day. Through this program, you will:
- Recognize the importance of municipal strategic planning for sustainability and goal achievement;
- Understand how all managers and leaders of people can contribute to the effective leadership in their municipalities;
- Understand strategic thinking in new terms and showcase the process and potential of a thoughtfully planned approach;
- Utilize strategic tools to approach internal and external challenges;
- Identify tactics to determine when to use traditional vs. design thinking approaches;
- Identify pathways to tackle shared strategic challenges.
- Learn to understand behavior patterns in others, explore the impact of communication and Emotional Intelligence on others, and use instruments to effectively coach constituents through the use of a variety of tools and models
This program includes six modules, including:
- Module 1: Leading & Managing Municipalities
- Module 2: Leading Self and Others
- Module 3: Change Management
- Module 4: Business Case Development & Negotiations
- Module 5: Commit to Your Leadership Abilities
Videos and materials
Read more about Digital Transformation
Read more about Negotiations
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.