Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Euromoney Learning Solutions.Full disclaimer.
About the course
Strengthen your leadership skills in management & strategic direction
Euromoney's School of Leadership and Management has been the go to destination for aspiring and senior leaders globally for over a decade.
Steeped in the financial services heritage of Euromoney, this programme has built a reputation for its interactivity and ability to focus on real world problems. Due to demand from our clients in North America, South America and the Caribbean we have decided to run the London School of Leadership and Management in Miami November 18th to 22nd 2019. Directed by leading names in leadership development from across the globe, this will be a unique opportunity to gain insight on areas such as communication, strategic direction, business co-ordination, communication of key business messages and motivating others to change.
Day 1: Leadership in the 21st century Financial Institution
Leadership in the 21st Century Financial Institution
- What are the key challenges for the 21st century FI leader
- What are the key challenges in facing leaders in the financial sector
- Are there any universal leadership characteristics
Session 2 Leadership and Power
- What are the key attributes of great leaders?
- What can we learn from great leaders and what attributes can we use to lead the people reporting to us?
- The history of leadership and the concepts we can adopt as best practice in the 21st Century
- What are the key attributes required to be an effective leader
- Sources of Power and how to use them
- Benchmarking your performance against the best
Session 3 Creating Strategic Alignment in the Organisation: Organisational co-ordination
- Creating and communicating our performance objectives
- Creating a metric driven team
- Using key performance indicators
Session 4 Management Simulation
A management structure (3 managers) is agreed amongst the participants and observers are assigned to each manager. (The rest of the participants are team members) A number of tasks are given to the senior manager to be completed within a fixed timescale. Observers monitor the style and communication of the 3 managers during the whole exercise.
During the debriefing session, managers, observers, team members and the course director will give their assessment of the performance of the tasks and their feelings on the management style
Session 5 Strategic Leadership and Managing Risk in a time of Disruption
- What is strategic business leadership?
- In a time of disruption – Brexit, Trump– how do we create strategy?
- How are we as an executive team delivering on our strategy?
- Market analysis, thinking strategically, and creating and critiquing strategy
- Horizon scanning - staying up to date with industry trends, and the competition
- Round-table discussion Day 2 : Strategic Thinking
Session 1 Creating and Driving Strategy
- Key business strategic concepts
- Using strategy maps
- How to create ownership amongst all staff of the organisation’s strategic goals
- Cascading strategic goals
Session 2 Strategic Leadership – the Mix
- Differentiating their “Leadership Brand”-building a leadership reputation
- Visionary leadership –James Dyson
- Taking a closer look at examples of Strategic Leaders e.g. Sir Alex Ferguson - Manchester United
- Nuts and bolts of leadership: goal setting, delegation, coaching, facilitation, celebrating success, building energy, balancing strategy and tactics, changing direction and communication, “strategic listening
- What is strategic business leaders
- Exercise: Identifying strategic leaders from the public domain / history
Session 3 Making Effective Strategic Presentations
- Your How CEO’s like to “think strategically” –with input from the speaker’s own unique research in his book “Demystifying Strategic Thinking –Lessons from Leading CEO’s:
- The role of Strategic Mindfulness in Strategic Leadership/ becoming a mindful manager: monitoring and managing your psychological and emotional state. Lessons from “NLP” –Neurological Linguistic Programming
- Managing your energy, your anxieties, and your levels of commitment to a course of action
- The power of concentration and single mindedness in sticking to a direction
Exercise: The team makes a strategic presentation and receive feedback
Session 4 A global banking outlook on key financial strategy issues
- Benchmarking key financials
- Ensuring that financial strategy creates the correct behaviours and outcomes
- Case – Study: A case study looking at some example banks and how they linked strategic aims and improved financial performance
Day 3: Developing your Emotional Intelligence and Resilience
Session 1 Understanding emotional intelligence
- What is Emotional Intelligence and how can you use it in your leadership
- The history of thinking on Emotional Intelligence
- The work of Daniel Goleman on Emotional Intelligence
- An attempt at a definition of emotional intelligence: Self-awareness, Emotional resilience, Motivation, Interpersonal sensitivity, Influence, Intuitiveness, Conscientiousness
- Can you measure EQ as well as IQ? How important is EQ?
Session 2 Leading with Emotional Intelligence – Being an Effective & Inspirational Leader
- Styles of leadership
- Situational leadership model
- The concept of “maturity in the role”
- Approaches:- directing, coaching, supporting, delegating
- The implications of using an inappropriate style
- Adopting a different style of leadership depending on the person
- Effective communication - How do I come across
- How does my style of communication affect the team
- Am I a good communicator
- Tools for effectively communicating with the team
Session 3 Mental Agility and Well-being
- Your mood is contagious!
- Re-framing difficult and challenging situations
- Working out your areas of control and influence
- The concept of positive expectancy
- Energy management
Exercise: Reducing decision making fatigue
Session 4 Hacking your Creativity: Ways to get you and your team to think outside the box
- What’s stop us from thinking more creatively
- Rapid ways to hack our creativity
Exercise: The tem uses a number of techniques to become more creative
Session 5 Dealing Effectively with Pressure
- Effective planning tools
- Physiological cues that tell you are under pressure
- Tips on how to deal with times that you are at the edge of your capacity
Day 4: Leading Synergistically:Breaking silos and building a team focused culture.
Session 1 Building Trust and Integrity in the team
- The importance of getting the start right: the concept of rapid trust
- What builds trust in a team
- The trust team development cycle: how the team develops and matures
- Exercise: Building trust in the team
Session 2 How to break silos in your organisation? Creating a “Teaming” model
- Delegates will be asked to analyse your corporate culture model using the Cameron and Quinn culture model
- Case Study on silo mentality in banking
- Reducing the “Silo Mentality” in the organisation using Lencioni’s five dysfunctions of a team model
- A high energy “teaming” game will be played by the executive team. Some delegates will play the C-suite team, middle managers and individual contributors. The game will be based around rapidly forming teams, executing strategy and collaboration.
- After the exercise the facilitators will feedback on what their observations were? What do we do as an executive team well? What do we need to change so we can encourage more collaboration across the organisation?
Session 3 Understanding the Psychometric Profile of your Team
- All delegates will have complete a psychometric tool
- During the course, the facilitators will give feedback on the overall behavioural profile of these styles
- Individuals reveal their behavioural profile to each other on course
- The team receive feedback on their overall team interaction
- How does this psychometric feedback change the way team needs to communicate and execute
Trainer facilitated discussion: How do we use behavioural feedback to improve the way we lead
Session 4 Analysing your Culture: What is it? What is good about it? What do we need to change?
- Culture as the key driver of ethics, behaviour and performance
- Delegates will be asked to analyse your corporate culture model using a well known culture model
- Using this model, the team will action using the Stop, Start, Continue, do more of , do less of model
Practical exercise: Using the culture model the executive team will work together to create an analysis and action plan on cultural transformation in your organisation
Session 5 Introduction of evening reading: “Think more expertise will make you more trusted? Think again!”
- The Trust Equation by Charles Green
- Introduction of the evening reading
- Summary of what has been learned to day and a preview of tomorrow
Day Five: Leading Change and Managing Conflict
Session 1 Driving effective change
- Understanding how people deal with change
- Moving people from their comfort zone
- Obtaining buy in
- Executing the change
Case Study: “Change Management in a Retail Bank”
Session 2 Executive Presence & Influencing Skills
- What is executive presence?
- Communicating Key Business Messages (KBMs) in your organisation
- Non-verbal communication tips for senior executives
- Cialdini’s laws of Influencehat builds trust in a team
- The trust team development cycle: how the team develops and matures
Video: Cialdini’s laws of influence
Session 3 The Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Questionnaire – Your Preferred Conflict-Handling Style
What is your preferred conflict-handling style?
- Competing – getting you own way at the expense of the other party
- Avoiding – pretending that the conflict is not there
- Accommodating – letting the other party get their way
- Compromising – meeting the other party in the middle
- Collaborating – finding a WIN/WIN solution
Which, if any, of these conflict-handling styles is best according to the situation
Analysis of your working relationships and your personal use of conflict handling modes
Which do you prefer (scoring the questionnaire)
Session 4 Dealing effectively with challenging interactions
- What is a solution driven approach?
- Dealing with objections and disappointment positively
- Revisiting and discussing expectations
- Re-framing stakeholder relationships – creating more positive outcomes
- How being solution driven helps us to move from seeing obstacles to managing situations
- Effectively handling client / stakeholder complaints
- Not taking it personally: The key skill in being professional and not letting these situations personally affect you
Session 5 Skilfully influencing internal stakeholders
- The rules of powerful persuasion and influence
- Reciprocity, scarcity, liking, authority, commitment and consistency…
- Using these skills to influence internal stakeholders to see the bigger picture
- Achieving WIN-WIN outcomes for the client and the Organisation
- Using assertive rather than aggressive or submissive behaviour
- Transactional Analysis as a way of considering internal skills effectively
Trust the experts
Biography Diana Kawarsky specializes in business communications for Schulich’s Executive Education Centre, York University. In addition, she is a facilitator, adult educator, coach and management consultant with Fortune 500 companies throughout North America. Her experience spans nearly 20 years...
The Course Director is a leading global sales and service consultant with a sales management career grounded in blue chip financial organisations such as Barclays Bank and Axa Finance spanning over 15 years. For Barclays International and he was fundamental in the creation of their global relatio...
As a consultant for both for-profit and non-profit organizations, Liam is the Managing Partner of Starfish vILT, a consultancy specializing in helping organizations develop for the future. With an emphasis on leadership development, change management, communication skills, and related soft skill ...
I am a communication trainer, coach and strategist. Offering global experience with Fortune 10 companies, leading non-profits and entrepreneurial start-ups, I help clients communicate clearly, concisely, and convincingly to all their audiences: investors, customers, employees, media, public offic...
For over 20 years, Simon has facilitated management and leadership with the tools and training needed to deliver outstanding teams and results. Specializing in fast-paced, complex corporate environments, Simon works with you to achieve the desired goals, teamwork, participation and consensus. H...