Who should attend
HR practitioners responsible for employment issues within their organisation. No prior knowledge of the law on maternity or family rights is required.
About the course
Gain an understanding of the UK’s provisions for flexible working practices, including all the latest changes.
If you’re involved in the administration and management of family-friendly policies in your organisation, this practical course is just what you need. Using case studies and group discussions, it provides a thorough grounding in the UK’s provisions for flexible working practices, including maternity, paternity, adoption, dependant, and parental leave.
By the end of the Maternity and Family Leave: Rights and the Law course, you will be able to:
- understand the rights of employees in relation to leave and family care
- assess the impact of the employee’s rights on the employment relationship
- advise your organisation on recent and forthcoming developments
- UK and European policy objectives
- relevant legislation
Issues during pregnancy
- Time off for ante-natal care
- Health and safety: risk assessments, alternative work, suspension
- Pregnancy-related illness
- Promotions and performance appraisals
- Dismissals and redundancy
- Sex discrimination
- Annual leave
- Qualifying for leave
- Compulsory, ordinary and additional maternity leave
- Keeping in touch days
- Contractual position during OML and AML
- Employers’ own schemes
- Dismissals and redundancy during leave
- Qualification for statutory maternity pay (SMP)
- Calculating entitlement
- Employee pay and benefits
Returning to work
- Job, pay, status, notification
- Flexible working requests
- Health and safety issues on return to work
- Failure to return
Shared Parental Leave
- Shared Parental Pay
- SPLIT days
- Managing requests
- Managing requests
Paternity pay and leave
- Statutory paternity pay – qualification and rates
- Paternity leave – how much and when
- Additional paternity pay and leave
Adoption rights and issues
- Statutory adoption pay and leave
- Step and foster adoptions
- Overseas adoptions
Parental and dependant leave
- The right to parental leave
- Right to time off to care for dependants
Programme is subject to change pending new developments
Experience HR consultant/trainer Company Name HR without Fuss Ltd Dates EmployedMay 2011 – Present Employment Duration8 yrs 2 mos Almost 8 years after starting the business I have a great list of clients working in a diverse range of sectors, where I offer outsourced HR : several charities; m...
Kathy first joined Aston Business School in September 1999, as a Sessional Lecturer. She continued in this role until September 2012 when she was appointed as a Teaching Fellow, working on a part-time basis. She was promoted to Senior Teaching Fellow in 2014 and then to Associate Professorial Tea...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.