This course has no confirmed dates in the future. Subscribe to be notified when it is offered.
About the course
he Masters Certificate in Project Management has been designed from the ground up to build excellent project managers—skillful, strategic leaders who can consistently guide projects to success. Eighteen days of instruction are divided into nine one-, two- and three-day modules spread over five months.
With a proven curriculum based on A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide)—new sixth edition—developed by the Project Management Institute (PMI®), the program can return many times the value of the financial investment for years to come through successfully executed projects.
Join over 12,000 project professional graduates across North America!
Project Management Certification skills are a new core competency in organizations at all levels. Understanding how all the phases of the project lifecycle fit together benefits projects of any size. This project management certification programs will give you structured techniques to add the maximum amount of value during project execution.
Participants will benefit from:
- The ability to look at projects in a whole new light and manage them systematically and strategically
- A kit of powerful new tools, documents and templates which can be used as is or modified to suit
- Significant assistance in getting prepared to write the PMP® designation exam through mastery of the material and the required contact hours
- Hands on practice applying the material through a simulated project woven throughout the program—our “secret sauce” for accelerated, intensified learning
Module 1 – Program Introduction – 1 day
Review course objectives, establish a strong foundation for learning, introduction to the PMBoK and PM fundamentals
- Program introduction and review of objectives
- Overview of the knowledge areas of project management as defined by the Project Management Institute and others
- Introduction to the project simulation/case study to be used throughout the program
- Delivery of tools and technology to be used throughout the program
- Discussion and exercise around team leadership and effectiveness
Module 2 – Project Planning & Control – 3 days
A complete foundation in successful planning and implementation
- How to form a project team, scope projects and manage within a Matrix Environment
- Developing detailed and high-level PM plans
- Creating activity-based network diagrams and working with the critical path
- Introduction to Earned Value Management
- Meeting stakeholder requirements with various control strategies
Module 3 – Leadership, Communication and Stakeholder Management — 2 days
Improving your project effectiveness in HR, Communications and Stakeholder Management
- Communicating with Project Stakeholders meaningfully and effectively while supporting the success of the project
- Choosing, developing, managing and organizing your project team
- Identifying all stakeholders and managing their engagement
- Building communication plans and using templates
- Exploring strategies for challenging communication environments such as organizational change, diversity, and virtual teams
Module 4 – Effective Project Cost Management — 2 day
Manage your projects through the lens of cost minimization
- Cost estimating: Micro versus macro
- Cost estimating techniques : micro versus macro
- Resource planning, budgeting and cost control
- Earned value concepts
- Project profitability criteria ( NPV, IRR and others)
- Cost status reporting
Module 5 – Assessing & Managing Project Risk — 2 days
Making risk management a project success tool
- Project risk management framework
- The human factor in risk management
- Risk management in project selection and planning
- The risk register
- Techniques and tools for project risk identification and analysis
- Risk response planning and follow-up
- The integrated dimension
Module 6 – Project Quality Management – 2 days
Learn how to build quality systems into every project
- Types of problems and link to Quality, Lean and Management Systems
- Quality: Defined and measured
- The basic process for achieving quality
- How preventive quality action reduces project cost dramatically
- Reducing total cost of quality through problem-solving
- Overcoming obstacles to front-end planning and achieving results
Module 7 – Procurement & Contracting Management — 2 days
Successfully integrate procurement and partners management
- Procurement and contracting terminology and environment
- Contract planning, implementation and administration principles and tools
- The human and the legal aspects of procurement, solicitation and contracting
Module 8 – Filling in the Gaps and Final Exam — 2 days
Integrated review of key concepts and writing the final exam
- Review of all knowledge areas, key concepts and tools covered during the program
- In an integrated fashion with examples and quizzes (exam style)
- With applicable links to the latest Guide to the PMBoK ® and other relevant references
- Final exam spanning all program material (marks to be handed out the same day)
Module 9 – Project Simulation — 2 days
An introduction to Agile
- Understand the key elements of Agile and how to apply them to any project
Participants apply their learning to propose, plan, execute and deliver a full-scale realistic project in teams
- In Project Simulation, all participants will apply their learning to propose, plan, execute and deliver a full-scale realistic project in teams.
Who should attend
Ideal candidates include:
- Mid- and senior-level managers who have completed an introductory project management program
- Professionals who need recognized training hours to apply for or to maintain the PMP® certification
- Project managers who need recognized continuous education in project management.
Trust the experts
Biography Christine Beaulieu is an experienced information technology executive with more than 20 years of expertise in the management of large IT departments and in the implementation and management of information systems. Her career has been largely focused on project management and communicat...
Benoit De Grâce
Biography Currently acting as senior VP and regional director for the Project Management Centre, Benoit also provides services in process and methodology definition as well as systems implementation and training. He is also the Director of IFGP – Institut de formation en gestion de projets, a pr...
Biography Gilles Lalonde is the president of Qualitum Gestion Conseil based in Montréal. He has 17 years of experience as a quality program manager and director of quality assurance in major corporations in the aerospace and aeronautical industries. Gilles teaches Advanced Project Management at ...
W.G.M. (Bud) Lush
Biography Bud Lush has been a Schulich Executive Education Centre faculty member since it’s inception. He is also the Chair and Chief Technical Officer with Atocrates Project Sciences. He is a multiple award winning international consultant/instructor with over 35 years direct working and teachi...
David Barrett is the President of Solutions Network Ltd., Group Conference Director with Diversified Business Communications Canada and Program Director at The Schulich Executive Education Centre, Schulich School of Business at York University. In his role with Solutions Network he is primarily t...
Serge Garon holds a BScA in Chemical Engineering (Laval University), an MSc in Naval Architecture and a Post-Grad Certificate in Submarine Design (University College London), and graduate certificates in engineering and management (MIT and other universities). His certifications include those of ...
Michel Cambron has worked for more than 22 years for major corporations (Bombardier, SPAR Aerospace and Harmon Industries) where he held several project management positions. He has managed several large and complex new product development projects involving international partners. He acquired va...