Comprehensive course analysis
- What do past participants have to say about the course?
- How many participants were promoted within three years after graduation?
- How did this course affect participants' professional trajectories?
- How many participants got their salary increased within two years after completing the program?
- What do past participants have to say about the course?
Who should attend
This program has been designed for executives and professionals with diverse needs from any sector or functional area, including managers who:
- Want to learn about data analytics tools and techniques and leverage insights from big data to allow their organization to make better business decisions
- Are tasked with implementing, enhancing or expanding the role of analytics in their organization
- Currently work on analytics projects or are involved with a data team, and want to increase their fluency in the domain and their command of its tools and techniques
About the course
Whether you’re looking to implement a data analytics program from scratch, take your use of data to the next level, or simply increase your fluency in the domain, the Masters Certificate in Analytics Leadership is the program for you.
This 13-day program for non-data specialists, is delivered in seven modules over three months and has been designed to quickly round out your knowledge of all the technical, managerial and organizational dimensions required to successfully and sustainably generate insights from data and translate them into action. This cutting-edge data analytics content is structured in convenient standalone modules can be taken by managers from any sector or functional area.
What is Required to Implement Data Analytics?
While most organizations today collect data as a basis for decision making, seeing patterns in the exploding volumes being generated can quickly become overwhelming. Analyzing it properly to in order to make better business decisions requires some specialized skills and tools, especially for non-data specialists.
What Does Predictive Analytics Entail?
Leveraging data using the right analytics tools can “open a window into the future”. It works when organization leaders can recognize the patterns and then ask the right questions of the data. The result is meaningful insights that uncover hidden or unexpected opportunities.
Communication Skills Are Critical
Having useful data is essential. It then becomes necessary, using data visualization, to shape them into a format that effectively communicates results and recommendations to managers across the organization so they can take action.
For analytics to gain traction, organizational infrastructure, processes and support from management must also be developed and implemented. That involves being able to advocate for and manage change. Applying analytics-focused entrepreneurial and design thinking results in a culture that fully engages the workforce for maximum effectiveness.
How Technically Demanding is it?
The modules have been developed for non-data scientists and do not require any prior technical knowledge. Some topics make use of math but only for explanation or demonstration purposes. All participants require to benefit is an openness to learning.
Introduction to Analytics
An exploration of the underlying principles, this module will familiarize you with the reasons why it’s possible to trust data to make better decisions compared to intuition or experience.
Data vs. Intuition + Data-Driven Decision Making
- Decision-making strategies based on data vs. intuition
- Use data skills to build effective intuitions and vice versa
- Use data-driven strategies for better decision making
- Drive up ROI with data driven approaches
Understanding Variation + Correlation vs. Causation
- Consistency of process through measuring variability
- Measures of variability that determine outcome fluctuations
- Distinguish correlation from causation for better insight
- Variables and relationships relevant to business problems
Analytics & Leadership
Learn, practice and perfect the softer leadership skills which have proven critical for successfully engaging with human factors when implementing analytics-based projects.
Leading with Analytics
- Pair your business expertise with data science’s capabilities
- Identify the best corporate analytical strategy for success
- Frame business problems for data and analytics answers
- Overcome communication barriers
Negotiating and Influencing Skills
- Influence people on the conversational or interpersonal level
- The art and science of negotiating
- Strategies for persuading consistently
- Attain win/win outcomes with conflict resolution
Business Insights with Data
“Moneyball” insights are real! Locate the Moneyball instances within your organization by asking the right data questions, and then successfully present insights using data visualization.
Finding “Moneyballs” with Analytics
- Explore Applied Moneyball Theory as a unique value multiplier
- Unlock thinking and skills for identifying high value moneyballs
- Create predictive measures and questions to ask of the data
- Convince decision makers to invest in Moneyball opportunities
Data Visualization with Tableau
- Ask the right questions to reveal patterns and trends
- Illustrate actionable insights with data visualizations
- Empower decision makers with management dashboards
- Apply design principles, visual theory and data storytelling
Learn the fundamentals of an analytics infrastructure: what’s required to store, access, manipulate and manage data from technical, regulatory, privacy and cybersecurity perspectives.
Data Governance & Privacy
- Modern macro and micro drivers for effective data governance
- Organizational alignment and cross-functional engagement
- Internal/external roles and responsibilities
- Effective data leadership within an organization’s value network
Overview of Databases and Big Data Tools
- Big data and data science for more informed business decisions
- Organizational growth through more effective data analytics
- How big data analytics can drive competitive advantage
- Cloud, mobility, security, social media and online business
Data Science in Action
Envision the practical predictive analytics applications most suited to your organization now, and explore the additional possibilities afforded by data science technologies.
Introduction to Predictive Analytics
- Explore the past to predict advantageous future outcomes
- Apply tools and methods to your business decisions
- Differing science and data needs across industries
- Understand and communicate knowledge gained
A Map of the Terrain and Technologies
- The difference between supervised and unsupervised learning
- Common and useful data science algorithms in practice today
- Technologies most useful in enabling workplace data science
- How AI algorithms enable powerful data-driven insights
This module provides participants with strategies and techniques to enable the digital transformation which analytics represents to gain and maintain traction in their organization.
Entrepreneurial Thinking for Tech Strategies
- Data & AI challenges prevalent in the enterprise today
- Compare disruptive start-up vs. enterprise tech strategies
- Methodologies to execute like a tech-enabled start-up
- Processes to maintain rigor, security and compliance
Design Thinking in the Age of Big Data
- Create organizational value through internal design thinking
- Maximize value with design solutions based on insights
- Frame internal challenges to deliver new benefits
- Apply design thinking through an analytics lens
Capstone Project Presentation
Participants will present in groups on a case which challenges them to think about artificial intelligence in the context of large enterprises and how to develop a scalable business to serve the AI needs of these firms.
Biography Diana Kawarsky specializes in business communications for Schulich’s Executive Education Centre, York University. In addition, she is a facilitator, adult educator, coach and management consultant with Fortune 500 companies throughout North America. Her experience spans nearly 20 years....
Murat Kristal, PhD, is an associate professor of operations management at Schulich School of Business at York University. He teaches in the areas of business operations strategy, channel management and customer modeling. Dr. Kristal received his PhD from the Kenan-Flagler Business School at Unive...
Mr. Garcia serves as the Managing Director for ABC Live Corporation, a global management consulting firm working with leading businesses, public sector entities, and not-for-profit organizations in the Americas, Europe, Australia and Africa. He focuses his efforts on helping clients develop strat...
Biography David is the President of DHE Consulting where he leverages over 20 years of experience working with leading organizations across industries, helping guide them to make use of their data assets and providing solution implementation. An experienced lecturer and trainer, David provides an...
Biography After sneaking away from a small-town prairie farm, Shane spent his early career as an entrepreneur in North America and Europe focused on product design, robotics and connected devices. He later joined Idea Couture, a Design Thinking and innovation consultancy, to combine his technical...
Dr. George J. Georgopoulos is from London Ontario. He received his undergraduate degree in Economics from the University of Western Ontario, M.A. and PhD in Economics from the University of Toronto, where he is now an Associate Professor of Economics at York University. He is also the Graduate Pr...
Keith is a scale-up adviser and venture builder who advises high-potential, high-scale businesses on their technology, revenue and go-to-market strategies. He is heavily involved in the Canadian tech start-up community, and mentors, consults, and advises out of several incubators and accelerators...
Principle at Design AI Ltd. Advising companies on digital sustainability and unlocking moneyballs. Eugene previously held the position of Executive Vice‐President, Digital Excellence and Technology Advisor, for Canadian Tire Corporation (CTC). Eugene started his career in telecommunications and h...
Hemant Sangwan (PhD-Business, University of Toronto) is a professor of marketing at Seneca College and also affiliated with Master in Business Analytics (MBAN) program and the Schulich Executive Education Centre (SEEC) at Schulich School of Business at York University. His teaching assignments in...
Tarun Rihal, MBA, MSc, SSBB is a data science manager in Ontario’s public service with more than 10 years of experience growing capacity for data science, management and analytics. He specializes in helping organizations develop data-science strategies that maximize return on investment by target...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Analytics
Read more about Business Communication
Read more about Digital Transformation
Read more about Information Technology
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.