Who should attend
Mastering Management: The Executive Program in Business Management is designed for mid-level executives, professionals, and entrepreneurs who wish to strengthen their business acumen and understand key business functions. Participants may come from industries such as healthcare, financial services, shipping and transportation, manufacturing, oil and gas or energy, and information technology and from functions where is it difficult to take time away from the office. This program is ideal for working professionals in the New York City area or those able to commute to New York City weekly for whom the convenient schedule would be beneficial.
About the course
Mastering Management: The Executive Program in Business Management (formerly the Columbia Management Institute) is a convenient option to master fundamental business and management concepts that will help executives develop into more well-rounded business leaders. It is a comprehensive MBA-inspired program focusing on essential business concepts in management, leadership, strategy, finance, and marketing.
This program is designed to be accessible for executives and entrepreneurs seeking an intense yet convenient learning experience by offering a 12-day program consisting of Friday and Friday and Saturday sessions over four months. This schedule not only allows executives to continue working, but also provides them with tools they can implement immediately and realize the benefits in real time, adjusting and customizing their experience at Executive Education as needed along the way.
To help participants utilize their learning immediately in a way that will be meaningful for them, executives have the option to come with a specific real world project or problem from their organizations that they will work on, which is called the Applied Personal Project. During the 12 days, participants will collaborate with a team of their peers working on similar issues as well as with faculty and coaches to help them address their projects. Participants will have the opportunity to consult their colleagues at work, make adjustments to the Applied Personal Project and return to Executive Education to receive additional feedback and direction. At the end of the program, each participant would be equipped to present their findings to their organization.
During Mastering Management: The Executive Program in Business Management, you will gain a broad base of business skills as well as go through a personal assessment and participate in exercises designed to develop your specific leadership and organizational management skills on a timeline that fits within your schedule.
Every business operates based on a set of fundamental business concepts. Having a good understanding of these concepts is at the heart of business leadership. This program will endow you with appropriate business acumen, skills, and vocabulary to become a successful leader.
Success during this program is not grade-driven, but rather learning-driven. The program focuses on providing tools and actionable skills that empower you to make better leadership decisions. Key takeaways will include:
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of critical, functional business subjects.
- Create a strategy for your own real-world business challenge that you can implement.
- Acquire a greater awareness of your leadership style and development opportunities.
- Learn from an all-star team of faculty experts in functional subjects.
- Collaborate with peers and faculty coaches.
Mastering Management: The Executive Program in Business Management is inspired by the education provided in Columbia Business School's MBA and Executive MBA programs. The subjects covered in the program are the essential subjects central to the School's management education. Columbia Business School faculty members will dive into leadership, strategy, finance, operations, marketing, and accounting to provide a broad base of business knowledge.
Leadership and Organizational Change
- Becoming and creating great leaders
- Leading by shaping, influencing, and changing your approach
- Negotiating win-win solutions
- Formulating winning strategies
- Executing strategy successfully
- Strategies for growth and globalization
- Making sound financial decisions
- Creating the optimal financial structure
- Demonstrating the financial value of your business decisions
- Achieving operational excellence
- Increasing business efficiency and effectiveness
- Using operations as a competitive strategy
- Launching successful new products and services
- Developing marketing concepts and strategies
- Managing sales and marketing programs
- Understanding the language of their business
- Using accounting information to make good business decisions
- Analyzing financial results to understand the sources of success and future opportunities
Biography Professor Netzer's research centers on one of the major business challenges of the data-rich environment of the 21st century: developing quantitative methods that leverage data to gain a deeper understanding of customer behavior and guide firms' decisions. He focuses primarily on buildi...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.