Who should attend
This course is designed for leaders, parents, partners, and friends. It is for anyone that has need or desire of communicating with clarity, compassion, and skillfulness to generate connecting and helpful outcomes.
About the course
Philosopher Mark Nepo said, “To listen is to lean in softly with a willingness to be changed by what we hear.” The human brain can process around 400 words per minute, yet we are only capable of speech at 125 words per minute. As we listen, our brains are bored. We find ourselves wandering away into our own thoughts, functionally removing us from listening.
Master of Communication is a six-week mindfulness training program that challenges us to the task of deeply listening and offers tools and resources to work with emotional intelligence and conflict management in communication. As we understand our emotional experiences and perception in communication, we can work more skillfully with others.
What You Will Learn
- An introduction and understanding of the neuroscience of listening
- The relationship between intrapersonal experiences and interpersonal communication
- Exploration of the goals and desires of communication
- Practices to enhance emotional intelligence and manage nervous system activation
- Introduction to a scientifically-backed communication skills used to keep positively evolving conversations positive and to direct difficult conversations back to ease
How You Will Benefit
- Learn to be more in tune with your own emotional state and to regulate communication in response to openness.
- Become attuned to the needs and desires of others in communication in order to appropriately address and meet those needs.
- Learn specific tools and tactics for working with conflict in communication.
- Understand the habits of the human mind in relation to listening and utilize mindful awareness to guide your own skills toward greater listening.
- Connect and reflect back goodness to those with whom you communicate.
- Understand how the drama triangle relates to communicating in conflict and learn skills to flip to empowerment and out of drama.
COMMUNICATION: INTRA- AND INTER-PERSONAL
- Emotional intelligence, mindfulness, and communication
- Awareness of self and other
- Meditation as a practice to enhance capacity for attention to attention necessary to attune
ART OF LISTENING
- Neuroscience of listening
- Tone versus body language versus verbiage
- Learning to listen practice
- Purpose of conversation versus communication
- Human need/desire when in communication
- OARS and Present Moment Inquiry practices
GREEN, YELLOW, RED
- Mindful communication stop light
- Connecting to what shifts you into yellow and red (informal practice offering)
- Understanding your filters of perception and discussion of skills to tap reality
NAVIGATING DIFFICULT CONVERSATIONS
- Gottman Rapoport
- Nonviolent communication (NVC)
- Tactics for making everyone’s voice heard
- Not taking personally, not fixing
OUT OF DRAMA AND INTO EMPOWERMENT
- Drama versus empowerment triangle as indicator of state of communication
- Vulnerability as indicator of connection, connection as indicator of happiness
- Learning to know when to speak
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.