Market, Law and Ethics: MBA Module Business & IT
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Nyenrode Business University.Full disclaimer.
What pays, what is allowed and what is right? Companies operate on the market, they are bound by laws, and are expected to act ethically. Seemingly straightforward, this situation is actually full of paradoxes and dilemmas; what is profitable is not always ethical and what is morally right is not necessarily legal. Our module Market, Law and Ethics helps you recognize and explore the interfaces between these three fields, allowing you to better understand the social role and responsibilities of your organization.
What will you get out of it?
- Knowledge about how to mix the fields of marketing, law and ethics to create new combinations for positioning your organization
- An innovative and broader vision on management and entrepreneurship
- Familiarity with modern management theory and concepts
- How to take and defend a point of view as taught through debating sessions
- A final report showing how you have applied what you have learned to your own business case
- A certificate that proves you have successfully completed the module
What are you going to do?
Business-society relationships are multidimensional and often complex. They involve multiple stakeholders and multiple perspectives. In the module we will develop and practice a method of approaching such complex issues by looking at them from three perspectives:
- Market (is it profitable?)
- Law (is it allowed?)
- Ethics (is it the good thing to do?)
Business problems don't come neatly rubberstamped as 'marketing'-problems or 'ethical'-issues. It is part of the manager's competence to figure out what type of problem (s)he is dealing with in the first place. Complex problems are multi-faceted and multi-layered. How to scrutinize the legal aspects of a problem? How to be sensitive to the business opportunities of ethical and social problems?
Overall the special ‘take away’ of this module is the integrative approach. The module aims at helping managers to become broad-minded and to approach business problems in a multi-disciplinary way.
In this module you learn to explore and recognize the interfaces between marketing, law and ethics. As a result, you learn to better understand the social role and responsibilities of your organization. Our interactive classes stimulate you to combine theory and practice, and discuss a variety of ethical themes.
There are three blocks of two days:
- Introductions to the three institutions of the market, law and business ethics, focusing on the market and ethics
- Develops the specific business perspective in the three institutions of this module; market, law and ethics and introducing IT law
- Focus on IT law and ethics, societal implications of IT, Computer Ethics, Big Data and Robotics
- Debating skills and peer review
Who should attend
- At least 5 years work experience as (general) manager or in an influential/strategic position
- Proven minimum bachelor's level of work and/or education
- Affinity with ICT
- Sufficient knowledge of English