Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with CEIBS.Full disclaimer.
About the course
If we look at any organisation today, most of what we see is the outcome of past strategic investment decisions. The firm’s assets, tangible or intangible, can all be traced back to investment decisions made in the past.
More important is the fact that strategic investment decisions often involve a very substantial outlay of resources, the success or failure of which can have long term consequences for the firm. Specifically, adopting a given strategic investment strategy may result in a major departure from the firm’s previous operations, significantly affecting its future financial performance and altering its risk profile as well.
Strategic investments are responsible for turning the firm’s strategic positioning into business performance and ultimately into shareholder value. Indeed, it is through strategic investments that shareholder value is created and augmented. Although such decisions are made relatively infrequently, they are the backbone of strategy formulation and implementation. As such, investment decision-making is part and parcel of a firm’s strategy and are of vital importance to the future success of the firm.
The programme focuses on helping executives to develop a comprehensive understanding of investment management. Specifically, the aims to help executives to acquire a holistic view of the investment decision-making process, to learn about some of the issues involved, to become aware of some of common mistakes and to reflect on the latest thinking and techniques in investment management.
Participants in this program will:
- Acquire a good command and appreciation of various critical issues and major approaches to strategic investment decision-making, enhancing their managerial capabilities
- Become familiar with the different methods used to evaluate investment proposals
- Learn how to build a business case for an investment proposal
- Learn how to manage risk and uncertainty associated with an investment decision
- Develop a better understanding of the investment decision-making process and relate it to the strategic positioning of a firm
- Learn how to apply the latest thinking and techniques to analyse investment decisions
- Fundamental principles of investment decision-making
- Review of investment evaluation techniques
- Managing the investment decision-making process: Some potential shortcomings
- The investment project hurdle rate: Some common mistakes
- Investment project cash flow estimation: The dos and don’ts
- Dealing with risk and uncertainty
- Investment strategy and value creation
- Some of the latest thinking on risk and uncertainty: Managing strategic options
- Bringing it all together: What we know and don’t know about strategic investment decisions
Who should attend
The programme is designed for non-financial executives from all disciplines who wish to deepen their knowledge about investment decision management. Structured specially for senior executives with responsibilities for investment decisions, this 3-day module adopts a multifaceted approach to investigate the many critical aspects of managing strategic investment decisions: topics covered range from strategy formulation to investment decision-making, from investment evaluation to the latest techniques used in investment analysis.
Trust the experts
Dr. Kalun Tse has been Professor of Finance at CEIBS since 1987 (at CEIBS predecessor CEMI). He was previously Associate Dean and Member of the Academic Council of CEIBS. He is also Professor of Finance at Nyenrode University in The Netherlands. He serves as a Visiting Professor at the Free Unive...