Who should attend
- Risk compliance/Heads of risks (credit, operational, market, legal and regulatory, reputation and sovereign) of banks and regulatory agencies.
- Both senior and middle management of banks and regulatory agencies.
- Board of Directors of banks and regulatory agencies
About the course
With the increasing awareness and understanding of risk management, there is a growing consensus that firms such as Enron, Barings Bank, Societe Generale, Allied Irish Bank, Lehman Brothers, Intercontinental Bank, Oceanic Bank and even the 2007-09 global financial crises could have been averted if effective risk management was applied. Moreover, the key to effective risk management is not just about knowing the different types of risks but on having a holistic understanding of the complex correlation among the different types of risks and as such how to manage the inherent complexity in a turbulent regulatory and risk-prone business environment such as Nigeria.
Of all the different types of risks (credit, market, operational, sovereign, legal, reputational, foreign exchange), operational risk is arguably the fulcrum upon which the causation and effective management of the other types of risks largely depends. It is the reason why the causes of operational risk (people, processes, systems and external events) are also described as the mechanisms or assets for effective risk management. The Managing Risks in Financial Institutions delivered by recognized faculty of experts is designed to provide a concise and precise training that will enhance the knowledge and practice of sustainable and effective risk management among board/senior management and risk managers/officers of all financial institutions in Nigeria.
- Understanding Key Concepts: Risks, Risk Management, Sustainability, Rules and Regulations
- Types of Risks and Their Correlations
- Overview of Nigeria Financial Sector, Risk Management, Fraud and Money Laundering
- The Regulatory Environment (Basel I, II & III) and other rules/regulations (corporate governance)
- Corporate Governance, Ethics, Sustainability and Risk Management
- Definition and Causes of Operational Risks
- Correlation Between Operational Risk and Other Risks
- Drivers of Operational Risk as Assets for Effective Risk Management
- Six Inter-related Stages of Risk Management
- Compliance as a Fulcrum of Effective Risk Management
- EWRM as Effective Risk Management Approach
- Organizational Culture and Risk Management
- The Role of Leadership in Establishing a Compliance and Risk Management Culture
- Basic Risk Modeling Techniques/ Scenario Analysis
- Outlook and Global Perspectives
Key Learning Objectives/ Benefits
- Detailed understanding of the causes and types of risks faced by Banks
- Critical examination and understanding of the relationship among the risks especially Operational Risk and how it causes other types of risks
- Good understanding of the six inter-related stages of Risk Management
- Appraisal of the link between current regulations/rules, risk management and performance of firms
- Analyze concepts and frameworks for effective assessment of the impacts of risk failures on firms (cost, regulation, compliance and reputation)
- Evaluate models of effective risk management within the context of an enterprise-wide risk approach, risk appetite, tolerance and risk-aware culture in financial institutions
- Understand the link between effective risk management and sustainability
- Demonstrate a critical awareness of the current and future trends in risk management in Nigeria and beyond
He has a PhD in Law and Economics of Banking Regulation, MSc in Economics and Post-graduate Diploma in Development Economics from University of Manchester, UK. In addition, he also has MSc in Comparative Political Economy from Cardiff University, UK and BSc in Sociology from the University of Lag...
Olawale Ajai is a professor of legal, social and political environment of business. He is the Director of Research, an author and co-author of several books and many learned articles. He has also drafted federal and state legislations. He benefited from business, community and inter-personal neg...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.