Who should attend
The programme is intended for current managers who need support to manage their people more remotely, rather than those new to the role. It assumes participants’ previous knowledge or experience of face-to-face team management, with the emphasis on developing new, or enhancing their existing, knowledge and skills.
About the course
Learn how to successfully manage your team remotely to support and maintain their productivity and well-being, whilst ensuring they can still achieve organisational goals as a result.
Is out of sight out of mind? Do you trust your people to be productive even though you can’t see them in a shared, physical workplace? How do you support them in their work and their wellbeing without appearing to be micro-managing them? These are all questions faced by managers new to managing individuals and teams remotely, distanced from each other and separated by personal circumstances, physical and technological limitations.
This programme aims to help you arrive at some of those answers in an interactive and collaborative online classroom environment, facilitated by one of our experienced learning consultants. Sharing experiences with your peers during and between the workshops will inspire your thinking and practice and help you to support your teams’ productivity and wellbeing, whilst the suggested resources will connect you to current thinking and good practice in these now critical management skills.
By the end of this programme, you will:
- Know how to successfully manage your team remotely to support and maintain their productivity and well-being
- Understand how you can ensure your team can still achieve organisational goals whilst working remotely
- Know how to approach difficult conversations that may occur around performance and personal issues remotely, and resolve them constructively and effectively
Before you start this course, it’s important that you consider the following questions:
- How do your personal objectives align to the course objectives?
- How will the course objectives enable you to perform better at work?
- What outcomes do you want from this course? (For example - learn new insights, find out the CIPD's view, confirm my thinking, challenge my own point of view, increase effectiveness at work etc.)
The programme consists of two 90 minute spaced (two weeks apart) participative online classroom sessions, using some of the remote working tools available both during and between sessions, and accessing other relevant and helpful online resources to help you prepare for the sessions and support your ongoing learning and practice thereafter.
Workshop 1: Creating, supporting & maintaining the productivity & wellbeing of the remote team
- Overview of Objectives/Team objectives for programme
- CIPD 10 Top tips for managing remote teams
- Motivating individuals and teams remotely
- Managing well‐being remotely
- Managing 121’s and Team Meetings
- Action Planning – key actions to take away to implement from the session
Allocated post‐workshop task: Participants to set up a Skype, Slack or Teams group and meet at least once as a group to discuss challenges and progress before the next workshop
Workshop 2: Having and resolving difficult conversations in remote teams
- Progress update
- Range of real life current performance issues
- Addressing performance issues remotely
- Supporting with personal issues remotely
- Having the difficult conversations to address performance and/or personal issues remotely
- Action Planning – key actions to take away to implement from the overall programme
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.