Who should attend
The course in Management Essentials is designed for emerging leaders or those new to management who are:
- Junior to mid-level managers
- Recently promoted to a supervisory role
- Aspiring supervisors or those preparing to take on a supervisory role for the first time
- In a position responsible for translating the vision, mission, and objectives of an organization to first-level or departmental employees
About the course
Moving into a supervisory management role for the first time can be exhilarating, gratifying and intimidating all at once. You are now responsible for translating the vision, mission, and objectives of your organization into meaningful activities with your first-level or departmental employees. Where do you start? Start with the basics to build up the essential skills and knowledge you need as a supervisory manager.
Management Essentials covers a wide range of fundamental concepts crucial for new managers who are faced with supervising direct reports for the first time. With four primary focus areas, the course will provide you with a toolkit of how to direct and manage, best practices for managing diversity in the workplace, the importance of decision making and communication and the key principles of people management.
What You’ll Learn
How to Lead and Manage
- Gain core supervisory management skills in human relations, communication, administration, leadership and emotional intelligence
- Learn various pragmatic approaches to management and how to apply them
- Master the managerial functions of planning, organizing, staffing, leading and controlling
- Adapt to and implement the latest trends and ideas in management
Managing Diversity in the Workplace
- Overcome leadership dilemmas and motivate your team by creating an understanding team culture
- Apply Kolb’s Learning Styles to understand key differences between individuals, leveraging team strengths and diversity
- Understand policies defining and protecting diversity
- Learn key theories of human motivation and management and how to apply them
Effective Decision Making and Communication
- Implement an effective decision-making process
- Recognize and leverage different ways in which people communicate and the channels they use
- Adopt best practices of planning methods and goal setting at the individual and team levels
- Understand the various levels and structures within your organization and the best communication strategies for each
People Management Basics
- Understand and implement your staffing and hiring process, from recruitment to on-boarding to compensation
- Become competent in applying directive, non-directive and structured interviews in the selection and hiring process
- Develop effective on-boarding and training plans for new hires that can help improve employee engagement and retention
Read more about Human Capital Management
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.