Who should attend
This programme is ideal for (but not limited to) functional heads and managers being groomed for senior, strategic positions. The class size is limited to 25 participants to allow for intensive interaction. We shall consider participants on a first-come basis. Once the class if full, other applicants will be admitted to next year’s class.
About the course
As managers take on greater responsibility, global trends that are shaping the future will increasingly influence their decision-making. In this digital transformation era, a lot can change in a few years: technology transforms, customer needs evolve etc. To survive and succeed, every business needs to transform itself into a change agent. The experiences managers face in his/her early years, forges their leadership style and philosophy throughout their careers. It is a big transition from an individual contributor, to a leader who in addition to continuing their work, must lead others. This identity shift for new managers is challenging. At times, managers feel no one understand them. Among the challenges faced by new managers include: Transitioning from being a colleague to a superior; Maintaining individual productivity while learning how to lead; Team building and leadership; asserting their opinions to upper-level management, including speaking for their subordinates/ department; Team motivation; Giving subordinates feedback about performance; Caching and developing subordinates’ knowledge, skills and abilities; communicating with people across all levels in the organisation; Effective delegation and avoiding micromanagement; Conflicts resolution; working with and leading employees with different opinions, personalities, and skills/ abilities; Doing more with less.
This programme aims to provide the opportunity to refocus and immerse yourself in the latest thinking about best practice in management and provide you with personal and professional tools to strengthen your effectiveness as a manager and leader.
Key Learning Outcomes
By the end of the programme, you should be able to:
- familiarize yourself with the organisational context of management
- have a strong understanding of organisational systems, their dimensions, life cycle and culture
- acquire the knowledge and skills and how your role is key for effective management in organisations
- gain a new awareness of what your operational and leadership strengths are
- understand and work with your own leadership style
- strengthen core operational skills like project management, marketing, communications, finance – as well as critical thinking and problem-solving
- have built a strong character for responsible leadership – through corporate social responsibility and triple bottom line (people, planet, profits)
- develop concrete action plans with the guidance of expert faculty and executive coaches
- gain new insights from other industries – helps you approach your own challenges with greater creativity and broader perspectives
The programme consists of a combination of two one-week modules delivered over a 6-month period. In between the modules, participants will be in contact with a professional business coach for purposes of executing your Leadership Project. This unique programme structure allows participants to broaden their knowledge in an intensive learning environment while putting into practice the learning skill and knowledge acquired in the modules. The programme mostly employs the case methodology as one of the learning techniques; this gives participants a chance to analyze real business scenarios as they immerse themselves in the various contemporary business challenges. This will be in addition to various class simulations, videos, thought-provoking lectures by our key faculty and enlightening syndicate and class discussions by fellow participants.
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.