Management and Leadership Skills for Environmental Health and Safety Professionals
Improving environmental health and safety performance within your organization requires an in-depth understanding of management principles and the leadership skills to drive change. You need to be able to build leadership buy-in for health, safety, and environmental initiatives, lead teams effectively, and create strategies for integrating EHS principles into the culture of your organization.
In this course, you will develop the management skills needed to improve the EHS function in your organization while gaining the leadership skills needed to lead teams, make decisions, build stakeholder buy-in, and generate and sustain change. You will participate in focused skill building in the critical areas of leadership and management development with the objective of bridging the gap between environmental health and safety technical skills and leadership skills essential for achieving functional excellence.
Management Training for EHS Professionals
As you move higher in your organization, the requirements for technical environmental health skills give way to requirements for management skills. You will need to develop clear goals and objectives that tie environmental health and safety outcomes to corporate goals, develop strategies to achieve these objectives, establish expectations, delegate to team members, and measure outcomes.
In this course you will learn principles imperative to your success as a manager, including:
- Managing and motivating people
- Negotiation and conflict resolution
- Effective business communication
- Risk communication
- Listening as a communication skill
- Time management and utilization
- Strategic and business planning for results
- Regulatory affairs management
- Professional ethics and legal issues of management
- Building EHS management systems
The management skills you learn in this training will make you a more effective environmental health professional while also developing your proficiency in influencing the actions of others. This skillset will allow you to lead others, manage yourself better, and make better decisions.
Leadership Skills for Environmental Health and Safety Professionals
Generating and sustaining long-term change in an organization requires moving beyond management to leadership. Unlike managers, leaders are not limited by the scope of their formal authority. They influence and guide others across traditional organizational boundaries, build relationships, and overcome organization-wide challenges to increasing productivity and value.
This course covers both functional leadership, a form of leadership focused on effectiveness and cohesion, and transformational leadership which is focused on creating and sustaining change. Both types of leadership are required in today’s complex business environment.
This leadership development course will help you work smarter, make strategic contributions to your organization, and gain increased respect, rewards, and recognition.
Learn From and Network With Environmental Health and Safety Professionals
Program participants come from diverse backgrounds, functions, and organizations from around the world, tied together by their desire to become a leader in environmental health and safety. By bringing together EHS managers and leaders from around the world, this course offers a truly rich experience. This training program offers a small, personal setting where you will learn as much from your fellow participants as from program faculty as you exchange valuable insights and best practices. You will leave Harvard having developed a global network of leading peers you can rely on for guidance as you return home and implement what you learned.
- Develop clear objectives, goals, strategies, and measures for integrating health, safety, and the environment into the culture of your organization
- Create specific methods for pitching occupational health, safety, and environmental initiatives to organizational decision makers
- Employ listening skills to develop more effective negotiation and conflict-resolution techniques
- Establish measurable expectations for your services by identifying appropriate performance metrics and implementing a performance measurement system for accountability
- Manage time effectively and coach others in this practice
- Write and speak clearly and concisely in the language of the customer
- Identify the best possible course of action and prioritize work that is both urgent and important
- Meet common challenges with proven techniques in risk communication
- Use the most appropriate management style for every situation
- Integrate sustainability objectives into EHS management systems
- Understand the characteristics of both a transactional and transformational leader
- Develop specific skill sets required to become more transformational
- Understand the role transformational leadership plays in achieving functional excellence in safety and other critical business areas
- Assess your organization’s and your own current transformational level
Who should attend
Management and Leadership Skills for Environmental Health and Safety Professionals is designed for health, safety, medical, and environmental professionals from all types of organizations and businesses who want to increase their individual effectiveness or who have program or functional responsibilities, including:
- Environmental health
- Food safety
- Health physics
- Industrial hygiene
- Occupational health
- Occupational medicine
- Risk management