Who should attend
- Managers with 4 to 10 years of professional experience and 1 to 3 years of management experience
- High-potentials who share the ambition to grow and take the next step in their management career
- Employees who want to make a difference in their organisation
About the course
Unleash your management and leadership potential
Equip yourself for your next move (into management). Broaden your general business knowledge, expand your management and leadership skills and build a stronger understanding and awareness of yourself.
WHY THIS PROGRAMME?
What is the added value of following the 'Management Acceleration Programme: Young Managers'?
Achieve success for yourself and your company. This programme provides the perfect opportunity to enhance your performance, create greater value through your work and maximise your return on investment. Take part in lectures, simulation exercises, individual and group coaching and a 360° feedback review. Throughout the programme you will work on a concrete business case while focusing on 3 key areas:
- Develop your personal leadership abilities and explore your strengths and areas of growth
- Become a more confident manager with new knowledge, skills and self-awareness – ready for new responsibilities
- Increase your impact in your organisation by developing effective communication skills
- Become a more effective manager – focused on creating value and providing leadership
Managing the Business
- Develop a broad perspective of the business along with the ability to analyse complex problems in each area
- Walk away with a toolkit ready to take on the challenges ahead
- Understand strategic management processes
Connect everything you have learned in order to achieve a real, value-creating perspective. You will develop the knowledge and skills you need to have immediate impact upon your return to the office. Moreover, you will develop professional and personal relationships with people from different industries and backgrounds.
The Management Acceleration Programme is constructed around 3 pillars: business knowledge, management skills and personal development. Throughout the programme, you will work on a group project with a small team that is formed at the start of the programme.
Business knowledge: gain an integrated view of business and understand the dynamics between different disciplines in order to increase your impact.
- Entrepreneurship & creativity: this session prepares young managers to structure and sell their ideas/business cases to upper management. You learn how to create, identify and explore business opportunities in your organisation. In addition, you will be guided through the different aspects of a Business Model Canvas and you’ll work in small teams on your pitch.
- Strategy: this session provides you with very practical and effective insights, frameworks and tools used for strategic decision-making. The focus lies on strategy formulation, but you will also get an introduction to strategy implementation.
- Finance: this session takes you through a simulation called FAST (Finance and Accounting Simulation Tool), which has been developed to train non-financial managers in various aspects of financial management: you gain basic insight into the drivers of financial health and value creation.
- Marketing: understand how you can create and manage customer value. You translate your new insights immediately into action by brainstorming in teams and acting as a consultant on cases.
Management skills: develop the right skills to lead, manage and present cross-functional projects.
- Project Management: learn how to design, plan, and manage projects and project teams while respecting the set time frame and allocated budget.
- Negotiation: strengthen your position at the negotiation table and return to the workplace with the ability to close deals whilst adding value for all parties involved. The success rate of your negotiations will increase significantly.
- Leadership: experience the difference between a manager and a leader role. How do you lead and work with others and how can you grow further? Do your direct reports know the mission and vision of the company/business unit, and do they act upon it?
- Speaking to inspire: Presenting information clearly and effectively is a key skill in getting your message across. Learn how to connect with your audience, understand the importance of voice and body language, and receive tips & tricks about preparing slide-shows.
Personal development: being more self-aware enables you to understand the impact your personal traits and interaction style have on your team and business performance.
We will administer some personality tests to give you insights into what drives you, your behaviour and values. Through role play, you will experience the strengths and pitfalls of your preferred communication and interaction style and learn how you can adapt it to have greater impact on the behaviour of others. The 360° feedback tool allows you to understand how your colleagues perceive your leadership behaviour in comparison to how you see yourself in your leadership role. You will be coached on this feedback in small groups by an expert Vlerick coach.
- Self-awareness and self-management
- Team dynamics
- 360° feedback group coaching
- One-on-one coaching
Group project: To ensure knowledge integration and application, you will create a new venture in a small team setting through the course of the programme. This project enables you to apply the theory to a real case, and moreover, you experience the challenges of working in an assigned team and having to decide on the roles and responsibilities of the different team members. Your team will have to come up with an innovative idea, do market research, draft a financial plan, and so on. During the programme, you will be coached on this assignment by faculty members who will challenge and guide you throughout the development of your New Venture Proposal. At the end of the programme, your team will pitch its new venture to potential investors.
The objective is two-fold:
Come up with a good idea, validate it, create a business model, make your case and pitch it.
Manage team dynamics:
- Determine your role in the team
- Interact with different personalities
- Learn to maximise each team member’s competences
- Manage conflicts within your team
Miguel is focusing on entrepreneurship and entrepreneurship education. He is passionate about the process and people behind new venture ideas.Miguel Meuleman studies how entrepreneurs and intrapreneurs successfully identify and exploit new opportunities. He looks at different aspects of the new v...
Hans gives you insight in the entrepreneurial processes and what this can mean for you. You will be inspired by his dynamic approach on how you can set up entrepreneurial ventures and how to grow. His approach is both academic and pragmatic.Professor Hans Crijns is Partner of Vlerick Business Sc...
Mathieu shows how insights into financial figures and decisions can lead to value creation. Mathieu Luypaert is Associate Professor of Corporate Finance and Programme Director of the Masters of General Management at Vlerick Business School. Mathieu Luypaert obtained the title of Doctor in Applie...
Frank Goedertier is the School’s brand management and marketing communications specialist who loves to approach his expertise topics from a strategic or customer psychology perspective.Within the school Frank Goedertier is responsible for the Vlerick Brand Management Centre and acts as Program Di...
Peter is a passionate teacher and executive coach, delivering inspiring experiences and taking you on a journey of impactful insights that ultimately result in an increase of your personal and professional performance.Peter De Prins is Professor of Management Practice. He is recognised as a dynam...
My mission is to practice what I teach in the ever-growing field of organizational and personal change. Therefore I develop, and deliver, courses and trainings inspired by scientific research (@Ugent), Habit learning (@CUTESolutions) and Streetskills (@Streetwize). And because every bio needs a q...
Katleen is an Associate Professor in Leadership and Coaching at Vlerick Business School. She is also the head of a centre that specializes in monitoring leadership trends and the development of innovative leadership & coaching tools. Her specific areas of expertise include inclusive leadershi...
As an HR expert with extensive practical experience, Veroniek advises organisations in their HR development processes. Her research interests relate to employee engagement and motivation, team management and self management.Increasing employee engagement, motivation and performance is the aim of ...
Professor Carine Peeters is Full Professor at Vlerick Business School. Before joining the School she worked as a faculty member at Université libre de Bruxelles, Solvay Brussels School of Economics and Management where she also obtained her Phd in 2004. From 2004 to 2006 Professor Peeters spent t...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.