Who should attend
- Senior operations executives looking to inspire thought leadership in manufacturing footprint development across complex organisations
- Mid-level operations managers and executives who lead strategic change programmes in global manufacturing
- Strategic analysts and internal consultants who support major strategic change programmes
- High-potential functional leaders and managers who are seeking to develop awareness of the important global, enterprise-level strategic challenges that the business is facing
About the course
Deciding what activities to undertake or develop in-house, undertake with partners, outsource or deliver through acquisition is a fundamental part of the strategy of any company. Yet these decisions are often made reactively and purely on the basis of cost, rather than considering other non-financial aspects which are often vital to overall competitiveness.
The IfM’s 'make-or-buy' approach identifies and quantifies the range of decision-making criteria, placing them in context and leading to clearer and better-informed choices. Our approach has helped companies across a wide range of sectors to improve their strategic decision-making and avoid contentious debates.
In this online short course, you will explore the make-or-buy framework, helping you to answer key questions such as:
- How strategic is a particular product, service, capability, process or component?
- How important is it to the customers’ buying decisions?
- Does it require unique know-how?
- How does potential supply base, partner or customer capability compare with our internal capability in delivering this?
Delivered in two 2-hour online sessions across two days, course material is presented using the latest virtual interactive environments, including breakout rooms to facilitate discussions between delegates to aid learning.
What you will learn
- Why a make-or-buy strategy is important
- How to develop a make-or-buy strategy, balancing the protection of critical production capabilities with effective use of supply partners
- A practical toolkit for the development of a make-or-buy strategy, illustrated with some real-world applications.
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.