Who should attend
ATMS is the next step for those who have earned an FTMS Certificate of Achievement. It is also recommended for advanced-level appointed and elected multi-employer, public sector and corporate plan trustees of any trust type as well as benefit office staff (see prerequisites section for more information). ATMS is applicable for trustees of both pension and health and welfare trust funds.
About the course
Advanced Trust Management Standards (ATMS) focuses on the application and analysis of the four key knowledge areas of effective trust management, adding breadth and depth to what is learned in FTMS and deepening the pension and health and welfare application.
Together, FTMS, ATMS and MTMS provide the ideal blend of knowledge, skill and experience needed for effective management of trusts. To get the most value out of this education, it is recommended that individuals leave enough time between each step on the path to practice and apply their classroom learning.
- Understand sources of law applicable to trusts—constitutional, legislative, common law.
- Identify problems and issues when legal duties conflict.
- Understand Pension Benefits Standards Act (PBSA) standards and their application to modern plan governance.
- Recognize potential legal problems resulting from trustee decisions (cases).
- Apply modern governance and best-practice principles to identify risks and propose actions to address.
- Outline the benefits of sound risk management process.
- Identify major risks trustees face in the current benefits environment, and provide examples of indicators.
- Identify models, best practices, tools and sources of data that help mitigate risks and contribute to a formal risk management plan/process.
- Apply risk management analysis to gain insight into plan risks and identify actions to mitigate them.
- Explain the significance of competencies and personal bias to effective board process.
- Governance is a key knowledge area for effective management of trusts. While a separate session is not devoted to the topic, governance considerations will be discussed throughout the ATMS course.
ATMS is an assessment-based program that expands upon the four key knowledge areas (Legal, Administration, Governance, and Funding/Investment/Finance) covered in the Foundations of Trust Management Standards (FTMS) program. ATMS will add breadth and depth across all four key knowledge areas, deepen the pension and health and welfare application, as well as develop related skills.
Benefits of Attending
Trustees play an important role in addressing the health and retirement needs of plan members and need to be confident and competent in that role. ATMS helps trustees build upon their past education and practical experience by focusing on applying the knowledge gained to future decisions through engaging instruction and interactive case studies.
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.