Who should attend
The Program has been designed for:
- Leaders who work in contexts where ethical dilemmas are common (e.g. there is potential for harm as a result of their behaviour).
- Leaders who want the opportunity to deeply reflect on their own capacity to engage in ethical thinking and ethical leadership, and to explore specific opportunities to build this capacity, as well as enable others to engage in ethical practices.
- Leaders who are committed to serving others, ‘modelling the way’ for others, continuous improvement, taking action, and guiding their own development as ethical leaders.
- People who have the motivation and capacity to exert influence and drive change (i.e. ‘leaders’), irrespective of their formal organisational position.
About the course
Harnessing the power of ethics to fuel sustainable organisational performance
The design of this course recognises that the terrain most leaders will be navigating in the future will be increasingly uncertain and complex. This requires a broad range of leaders to have the ability to identify ethical dilemmas, engage in ethical thinking and undertake ethical decision making rather than relying on rules, precedents, codes and laws.
In this context, leaders across society are faced with a myriad of leadership challenges with ethical dimensions. These challenges are being driven by factors such as digital innovation, artificial intelligence, climate change, globalisation, social media and resource depletion. In addition, there are increasing expectations from customers, employees, investors and communities for businesses to uphold the highest ethical principles and deliver a positive impact to society and the environment.
What you’ll learn
The Program will help leaders:
- To develop and use a set of practical tools and approaches to resolve ethical dilemmas, improve ethical decision making, and navigate ethical crises.
- To identify where shifts are needed in your leadership, team and/or organisation, and explore strategies to improve ethical behaviour and create a safe and open team and organisational environment.
- To understand the relationship between ethical thinking, ethical behaviour and leadership.
- To provide opportunities to deeply reflect on personal strengths and opportunities to develop as an ethical leader including one’s capacity to drive ethical behaviour in others at different levels (e.g. within a team, organisational or broader institution).
- Build a focused individual leadership development plan to enhance leadership of self and others. This may focus on a particular ethical challenge or be more holistic in enhancing general ethical leadership capacity.
- Understand the concept of ethical leadership and its role in building trust, serving others, and contributing value to the organisation and society.
How you'll learn
Over a two day face-to-face program you will focus on how to use practical tools to address ethical dilemmas and engage in ethical leadership, and providing opportunities to practice using these tools. It also has a focus on helping participants to build an individual leadership development plan to clearly highlight what needs to be done to grow as an ethical leader with a commitment to serving others.
Explore several models of leadership that you can use to improve aspects of ethical leadership in yourself and others, and minimise the risk of destructive leadership. Models include servant leadership, authentic leadership and socialised forms of transformational leadership.
Core Capacities for Ethical Thinking
To develop the skills, knowledge and attitude for ethical thinking and leadership including: empathy and perspective taking, self-awareness of biases and triggers, active listening, moral imagination and courage, finding one’s voice in difficult situations and enabling others to do the same, and systems analysis.
Explore aspects of self-leadership that are relevant to ethical leadership, including: self-awareness of who you are, what guides you (including purpose and values), how you behave, your impact on others, and your relationship to your organisation's guiding purpose and values.
André's personal mission is to work with enthusiastic leaders to drive positive change whilst demonstrating values of integrity, enabling others, sustainability and continuous learning. André specialises in leadership development, capacity building, group facilitation and urban water management....
Dimity is a specialist in purpose and values-driven leadership and business. Her passion is to work with leaders and teams to create businesses that are both great places to work and great for the world. She is currently Director, Barasa Consulting Group: working with leaders, businesses, social...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.