Who should attend
This program is designed for anyone in a management role, including those new to managing within virtual / work-from-home settings, as well as leaders hoping to boost performance within established virtual teams.
About the course
Even before the COVID-19 pandemic, organizations were making shifts towards virtual or remote work, and knowledge of how to lead effectively in a virtual setting is now essential. Leading Virtual Teams is an interactive remote learning program, designed to help managers adapt to the “new normal” of leading teams in a virtual environment.
The half-day session focuses on the fundamentals of how leaders can successfully motivate their team and sustain high performance, despite the challenges of being physically dispersed.
In this program you will learn:
- The key challenges that leaders face when managing virtual teams, including why virtual teams often underperform relative to their potential
- The principles of how to consistently design and lead virtual teams for effectiveness
- Ways of effectively empowering and communicating with your employees to keep your projects and workflow on track
- How to keep your team socially bonded despite virtual distance
- The necessary virtual collaboration technologies and tools you need to succeed
Upon completion of this program, you will have both the knowledge as well as the practical skills necessary to lead your remote team.
This program will help you to become a more effective virtual team leader and understand:
- Why virtual teams are so much more challenging to lead
- The strategies and tools you can implement that will create more consistent virtual team collaboration success
- How you can effectively communicate virtually with your team to help maximize your employees' engagement and productivity
- How to effectively lead virtual team meetings
- How to build and maintain team cohesion and social bonds virtually
- The "dos" and "don’ts" of using virtual collaboration technologies and tools
Organizations will benefit from facilitating their leaders’ development. They will:
- Improve employee productivity and increase efficiency of virtual projects and workflow
- Bolster employees’ identity with the organization and team, including building a stronger shared purpose and maintaining organizational culture alignment
- Reduce employee disengagement, stress, and feelings of social isolation that too often emerge in remote workplaces
- Become an employer of choice that supports flexible work arrangements, thereby enabling the leveraging of top talent regardless of location
Associate Professor & Distinguished Professor of Organizational Behaviour Dr. Raver is an Associate Professor and E. Marie Shantz Faculty Fellow in Organizational Behaviour at Smith School of Business, and is also cross-appointed to the Department of Psychology. She is an authority on int...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.