Who should attend
This program is targeted at senior executives, including C-suite executives, business unit heads and HR senior managers who are facing challenges of team collaboration and performance in the COVID-19 world.
About the course
Leading virtual teams successfully for high performance Many managers and leaders have discovered since the start of the COVID-19 crisis that the previous option of managing teams virtually has now suddenly become an inescapable necessity. Leaders of teams have suddenly recognized the urgency not only of mastering the skills of team leadership but also of applying those successfully in an online environment.
This program will provide practical skills and theoretical models to help you improve your performance as a manager and leader of virtual teams, whether team members are working from home or across borders and time zones.
The program will leverage the most recent management thinking on team performance effectiveness as well as neuro-scientific research to understand the emotional drivers of behavior. In the program participants will be introduced to a practical and proprietary high-performance team model which they can take with them after the program to apply to their own team environments. They will discover how teams operating virtually face different challenges from face-to-face teams, but also how teams working in virtual environments can benefit from certain advantages which this style of working offers.
The program will help participants to:
- Understand the unique dynamics and drivers of team high-performance
- Increase participants’ self-awareness of their own emotional drivers of behaviour and understand how to leverage this to influence others more effectively
- Understand how to build an environment of psychological safety in order to develop openness and trust and enhance creativity
- Understand the unique challenges of operating in a virtual team environment
- Recognize the advantages that virtual teams offer for performance
The capabilities that participants will develop during the program are very applicable to real work situations.
1 What is a Team? Collaborating Groups and Real Teams
What is Team Performance? Virtual breakout rooms
2 Team Leadership Challenge 1 The Paradox of Team Diversity
- Valuing diversity
- Unconscious bias
- Emotional drivers of behaviour - Online real-time polls
- Online real-time emotional driver assessment
- Multi-media experience
3 Team Leadership Challenge 2 The Challenge of Team Common Knowledge
- Establishing common knowledge - Multi-media experience
- Virtual team challenge
4 Leading Effectively Empowerment
- Psychological safety
- Learning mindset and culture
- Coaching moments - Case study discussions in breakout rooms
- Role plays
5 Leading Virtually Virtual Teams
- Advantages of virtual environments
- Challenges of virtual environments Multi-media experience
6 Team Performance Journey Recognizing Where Your Team is on the Performance Journey Breakout rooms and virtual whiteboards
This medium offers participants the opportunity to experience and practice leadership and team collaboration in a virtual environment.
There will also be opportunities for participants to bring real challenges they are facing in their own business environments to the program for analysis, if they wish.
MA, Johns Hopkins University Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Management HKUST Business School Professor New is currently or has been a consultant for Deloitte, Zurich Insurance, Housing Development Finance Corporation (HDFC), HKUST Business School, Aegon, Ernst & Young, Saudi Aramc...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.