Leading the Family Business (LFB)
Discover a safe confidential space to plan your family business succession
The Global Family Business Center at IMD Business School is a world-leading family business research and education center, focusing on the real issues that you face as a family business.
In a safe, confidential environment, you will expand your knowledge of successful family firms and better understand and navigate specific challenges and critical issues in your own family business.
Together we will probe the key issues facing all family businesses such as: growth, governance, conflict management, succession, and strategy.
- Navigate specific challenges and critical issues in your family business
- Probe key issues facing family businesses: growth, governance, succession and culture
- Benchmark best practices to broaden your understanding of successful family businesses
- Get concrete take-home value to drive overall performance
Understanding family business issues
With over 28 years of rich experience working with family businesses, Leading the Family Business is the longest-running family business program in the world. The program actively helps you expand your knowledge of successful family firms and better understand and navigate specific challenges and critical issues in your own family business. You analyze your business today and reshape it for tomorrow. Together we will probe the key issues facing all family businesses: growth, governance, conflict management, succession, and strategy. Specifically, you gain new insights into:
- The best strategies and governance structures to preserve and grow your family business and wealth
- How to optimize communication and strengthen team spirit amongst family members
- How family members, non-family managers, and board members can add value over generations
- How to develop and implement a practical action plan
How you learn
You learn through real-life case studies, active class discussions, group workshops, lessons learned family coaching sessions and networking activities. Classes are highly interactive and the discussions led by our faculty are relevant, meaningful and engaging. You have unparalleled opportunities to network, share, and benchmark with other family firms, all with similar dilemmas. Learn from each other and tap into IMD's long-standing history with some of the most successful family businesses in the world.
You will return to your family business with new ideas, action plans, and tools to help your business grow and succeed into the next generation and beyond.
2 different options to join LFB
OWP/LFB (June & November) – 5 days
Leading the Family Business (LFB) is offered as part of IMD's renowned Orchestrating Winning Performance (OWP) program, a transformational experience providing cutting-edge insights on the hottest management topics. Each morning you will attend the exclusive family business elective, following which you attend sessions with other OWP participants designed to inspire you and drive superior performance.
LFB (October) – 4 days
LFB is offered as an intensive and comprehensive stand-alone program for those who prefer to focus solely on the family business.
Join IMD’s professional alumni network
Once you complete an IMD program, you join IMD’s alumni network, an outstanding global community of global business leaders who will support you long-term.
Who should attend
Leading the Family Business is for all members of business-owning families, including:
- Active and inactive family members
- Spouses and next generation family members
- Senior non-family executives and board members (when accompanied a family member)
For ideal learning benefits, we recommend team attendance - for example family teams of several generations, siblings, cousins and/or key non-family managers. Develop a common approach, a common language and build on this shared approach by sending members to the same program over time.