Comprehensive course analysis
For a limited time only $40.00 $20.00Order
Who should attend
This program is designed for:
- Leaders of departments and divisions
- Senior decision makers in growth-focused firms
- Aspiring leaders for whom uncertainty and complexity pose obstacles to advancement
- Managers seeking to support their teams to outperform rivals and delight customers
- Team leaders and individuals tasked with ambitious performance goals
About the course
By some estimates, up to 80% of all strategies — however brilliant — never generate their intended results. Rather than depreciating these disappointments as ‘failures of execution,’ organizations can learn to be responsive and proactively address the gap between strategy and execution.
To achieve this agility, organizations require leaders who are perceptive (aware and accountable), comfortable with their various roles (ambidextrous and action-oriented), and clear about their path to value (articulate and adaptive).
In this program, you will learn more about these key skills and acquire the mindsets vital to leading an agile and adaptive organization. You will improve your ability to confidently make hard-to-reverse choices, maneuver through uncertainty, and inspire others to join you in taking risks to grow, innovate and improve the value delivered to your customers and stakeholders.
This program will help you become a strategic leader who inspires and motivates others to take risky, time-sensitive actions in pursuit of valuable goals. Program participants will walk away knowing how to:
- Foster agility at the leadership, resource, organizational, and strategic levels
- Build confidence and competence to drive results and accountability
- Link strategy directly to action, using both dominant and ambidextrous capabilities
- Leverage culture and data to be adaptive; making timely adjustments in key behaviors
- Test power dynamics and learn effective communications techniques
The three-day program is structured around the 6 key capabilities demonstrated by leaders of agile organizations.
Day 1: Agile and Aware
- Agile – Maneuver through uncertainty and be a more responsive leader.
- Aware – Become aware of changes in situations, circumstances, and relationships and be unbiased and clear-sighted about personal and organizational feedback.
Day 2: Adaptive and Articulate
- Adaptive – Find, recognize, and use incoming information to update assumptions and adjust behaviors.
- Articulate – Communicate effectively with multiple stakeholders in text, symbols, actions, and other means and paint a clear picture of what is happening and what needs to be done — in a language the target audience can understand.
Day 3: Accountable and Ambidextrous
- Accountable – Set targets with clear consequences for gaps between desired and actual performance.
- Ambidextrous – Develop strength in areas other than your dominant processes and have the ability to support multiple different processes when appropriate.
The program features:
- Pre-program materials, including a selection of relevant readings and videos
- 2 coaching sessions; one prior to the start of the program and another coaching session 3-4 weeks after the program concludes
- An online self-assessment and debrief report
- A suite of cases and challenges used as a focus for program exercises and application of program concepts
- An optional follow-up webinar
Rita Gunther McGrath, a Professor at Columbia Business School, is regarded as one of the world’s top experts on strategy and innovation with particular emphasis on developing sound strategy in uncertain and volatile environments. Her ideas are widely used by leading organizations throughout the w...
Shiva Rajgopal is the Kester and Byrnes Professor of Accounting and Auditing at Columbia Business School. He has also been a faculty member at the Duke University, Emory University and the University of Washington. Professor Rajgopal’s research interests span financial reporting, earnings quality...
Trish Gorman is a strategy expert and consultant and the founder of the online assessment firm, KEA Skills. She serves as an advisor to various corporate and institutional educational programs and is a subject matter expert for selected early-stage investors and entrepreneurs. At Columbia Busines...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.