This course has no confirmed dates in the future. Subscribe to be notified when it is offered.
About the course
Procurement expertise and professional practice is transforming business models. In some sectors, procurement spend accounts for more than 50% of all costs and is central to profitability. Procurement however is much more than a simple concern for cost, it is also about value creation and as a function is becoming a key shaper of business success
So as a procurement professional, how do you build strategic value in your organisation?
Our Leading Procurement Strategy Programme co-developed and co-delivered by Cranfield School of Management and the Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply (CIPS) will provide you with current thinking to:
- Help build customer value whilst implementing an effective cost management strategy.
- Build your personal effectiveness as a procurement leader and that of your team.
- Win support from key stakeholders so that you are able to influence change.
- Foster effective supply chain collaboration and open the doors to financial and the reputational benefits that come with it.
- Be creative in responsible sourcing of products and services.
What you will learn
- A clear understanding of the impact of procurement on competitive advantage.
- Increased ability and confidence in influencing, managing and motivating teams responsible for procurement.
- Skills to manage and mitigate risks in your supply chain.
- Access to Cranfield’s recent research in product and service acquisition.
Your Organisation will gain the capability to:
- Alignment of your procurement and business strategies to support sustained growth.
- Ownership of powerful models for acquiring products and services.
- More productive relationships with suppliers through collaboration and partnering.
- Best practice embedded in strategic cost management to achieve real organisational savings.
- Closer alignment with ethical issues in procurement.
- Greater level of innovation and new product/service development from a procurement perspective.
- Improved capability to overcome the challenges and common consequences of business process outsourcing.
- Enhanced competencies for commissioning complex products and services.
This is a three-day residential programme taking place at Cranfield School of Management.
Taught by our expert faculty, you will benefit from a combination of theory and real-world practical sessions that can be easily applied to your organisation. Group work will be featured throughout the programme, giving you the opportunity to share diverse ideas and success methods used by your peers across a range of sectors.
You will address the core theories and models to better understand strategic procurement practices and the link between its performance and competitive advantage.
The programme is designed to provide the skills, knowledge and tools to lead procurement teams in both public and private organisations. You gain the ability to bring the procurement agenda to the highest levels in your organisation.
- Develop your capability to uncover true costs when procuring a product or service.
- Develop your capability to procure a product or service that supports growth.
- Ensure your organisation operates at greater levels of efficiency.
- Clearly understand strategic cost management.
- Appreciate globalisation and the risk that it presents in your procurement performance.
- Strategically manage collaboration and partnerships.
- Effectively lead and innovate a sustainable procurement function.
Day one: Procurement and the supply chain
Focus on the strategic role of procurement in the organisation and the link between procurement performance and competitive advantage.
- Supply Chain Management (SCM) – key challenges in procurement.
- Developing a procurement strategy.
- Strategic cost management.
- Globalisation and risk.
- Problem based learning.
Day two: Managing strategic supply networks
We give you the key tools for managing strategic supply networks and an opportunity to apply them in your own context.
- Business model innovation.
- Collaboration and partnering.
- Problem based learning case studies.
Day three: Innovation and Leadership
Covers issues of innovation and leadership which will allow you to face current and future challenges.
- Sustainable procurement.
- Problem based learning – sharing solutions and feedback.
- Leading cross-functional teams.
Who should attend
Senior executives who wish to develop an understanding of strategic procurement practices and the latest thinking in the procurement implications of supply management.
- Head of Procurement and Procurement Directors.
- VP Purchasing and Purchasing Directors.
- Procurement Managers.
- Operations Directors and Managers.
- Head of Supply Chain.
Trust the experts
Dr Carlos Mena is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Supply Chain Management at Michigan State University. The focus of his research is the impact of procurement and supply management practices on economic, social and environmental indicators. Prior to joining Michigan State University,...
Prior to joining Cranfield, Denyse worked at Nestle. Her initial position was in the Corporate Quality Management Group in the Head Office in Switzerland, and subsequently on the GLOBE team based in Australia. She worked with internal stakeholders to refresh the global approach to supplier manage...
Background Richard has been focused on developing people and organisations for over 25 years in a variety of contexts. He has worked as a senior organisational psychologist and manager, in a variety of private and public organisations, and continues to act as a consultant to many plcs and severa...
Soroosh has BSc and MSc degrees in Industrial Engineering and a PhD in Operations and Supply Chain Management from the University of East Anglia. He has published two book chapters and more than 10 articles in international academic journals and conferences, and professional magazines. Soroosh ...
Martin’s work in the field of logistics and supply chain management has gained international recognition. He has published widely and his recent books include Logistics and Supply Chain Management and Business Operations Models. Martin co-founded the International Journal of Logistics Management ...
Leading Procurement Strategy Programme Overview
Leading Procurement Strategy Programme participants' reviews - November 2017