About the course
Ignite the heart, nourish the soul, and inspire the mind.
How do you answer the question: What’s the unique contribution I’ve made in my career?
Most likely your Executive Integral Leadership experience has encouraged you to ponder a lifetime of unveiling the legacy you intend as a lasting contribution, the difference you want your values to make in the world for the greater good. Many leaders find themselves asking, “Where do I locate my legacy, and how do I know I am actually leaving the world, my community or my organization better than when I first began to lead?”
The Mendoza College of Business’ Stayer Center for Executive Education is pleased to partner with renowned Irish social entrepreneur and philanthropist, Alan Kerins and the Inner Winner Institute to provide you with, in Alan’s words, “a unique and authentic journey to Africa to give you time and space to reassess your life and gain a new clarity, vision, purpose, and focus.” This life-changing experience in Zambia, Africa will challenge you in ways that push you to explore and understand your core values and to ask "what's the legacy I will leave behind?"
This advanced leadership program, which builds upon the work you started in Executive Integral Leadership at Notre Dame, is designed to place your legacy inside a story, a story that has been evolving from within, a story that captures the life you are living and the way you are learning to lead now.
Leading Legacy Impact is offering you a highly experiential and authentic week-long journey to Africa that begins with a personal inventory of your leadership experience. From this inquiry will come a crystallization of the patterns you have observed for how leadership, as you live it and teach it, makes a difference. You will have the opportunity to articulate a clear vision of the results you are currently seeking to be a part of your legacy. And, the essential question of legacy, how are you teaching the next generation to lead from the inside-out?
Our focus for the week will be on igniting the heart, nourishing the soul, and inspiring the mind so that you can reach your maximum potential in all areas of your life. The experience will help you to think deeply about how you see yourself as a leader and how you can make the world a better place. You will interact with inspirational people and communities who have very little, yet seem to be happy and are working to become prepared to make a difference. You will see how social entrepreneurship can make a difference in the lives of people every day and how it provides a sense of hope and purpose by giving people the dignity of work. You will experience the world in powerful and new ways that will stretch your thinking and touch your soul.
Website Cover Photo
FOR THE INDIVIDUAL
- A unique opportunity to get inspirational and undistracted time and space to focus on you
- Identify and sharpen existing skill sets and strengths to enhance performance
- Identification and removal of performance blocks through focused coaching
- Greater personal creativity and resourcefulness through the development of leadership skills and practices
- Develop positive and sustainable behavior changes across the major areas of work to improve life balance
- Enhanced planning and development with an action-oriented career plan
FOR THE ORGANIZATION
- Challenge executives to broaden their learning and knowledge to help them move with the dynamic world of business and go beyond their current level of competence
- Enhanced individual and organizational performance
- Enhanced ability to work as part as a multidisciplinary team
- Increased organizational commitment through connection of values and skills between individual and company
- Reputation of investing in executives through development leading to a greater ability to recruit key talent
FOR THE ZAMBIAN COMMUNITY:
- Funds raised through the program will be used to support sustainable community enterprises
- The program raises awareness of issues facing poor communities in developing countries and creates opportunities for knowledge sharing and solution-based approaches to development.
- Community benefit from workshops and volunteering sessions through interactive exchange of ideas
- The program supports local employment in production and service
YOUR AFRICAN LEADERSHIP ODYSSEY
- We will take you on a unique and authentic journey to Africa that will give you time and space to re-assess your life journey and gain renewed vision, focus and drive.
- You will be liberated by the coaching sessions in an inspirational and challenging environment, developing key skills and techniques with the team.
- You will engage with some of the world’s most resilient, brave and inspirational people as they challenge your core values, beliefs and perceptions.
- You will engage with innovative leaders, whose determination, patience, creativity and flexibility are truly remarkable.
- You will connect and learn from Mother Nature in the midst of some of the most extraordinary natural wonders of the world.
- You will be given the opportunity to help continue to bring about positive change in the lives of the children and adults living in western Zambia.
Dr. Melvin Dowdy serves as program faculty for Executive Education in the Mendoza College of Business at the University of Notre Dame. Dr. Dowdy joined Executive Education’s faculty in 2009 and is an experienced leadership development specialist whose consulting career spans more than 30 years. H...
Alan Kerins is an elite multi-code athlete, humanitarian, social entrepreneur and philanthropist. He founded The Alan Kerins Projects in 2005 where he raised over 5 million euro directly and several more million indirectly for many vital and life saving projects and programmes for communities all...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.