Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
Mid- to senior-level managers seeking to improve their decision-making by applying frameworks, tools, and techniques that help them better understand the value generating process of an organization
Typical titles include:
- Senior Manager
- Business Unit Leader
Functional Leader supporting Business Unit leader
- Functions impacted:
- Strategy – long-term value creation
- Operations – better decisions with less data
- Marketing – enterprise-impacting decisions
- HR – become a trusted advisor to business unit leaders
- Finance – deepened knowledge of non-financial levers to consider in making decisions
About the course
Leaders must understand how to balance innovative activities and sustainable performance.
The flood of data--and data analytics courses--has created pressure to 'know more' before making decisions. At the same time, the pace of business continues to accelerate toward the speed of light. But, does more data mean better information and better outcomes? This course is designed for mid-to-senior level executives who need a clear, easy-to-apply process for determining which information is needed, where to get it, and how to apply it to the decisions that drive value creation for their organization. Being able to effectively navigate through conflicting data to determine which is accurate and relevant to the decision has never been more important. This program enables you to resolve many of the business decisions you’re challenged to address each day. Get ready to learn:
- Balance financial and non-financial metrics
- Determine the best blend of innovation investment with practices designed for sustainable performance
- Uncover the most effective non-traditional levers to drive value creation for your particular business
- Set the targets and metrics that will drive the right behaviors and optimize value creation
You'll leave this program as an informed decision-maker with a solid grip on what data to use to provide better outcomes for your organization. Your back-to-work action plan can be implemented immediately to enable your company to be more agile and resilient.
This program is a must-have for those looking to enhance long-term value through confident data-driven decisions. The program aims to take existing leadership skills and add a solid understanding of how to use data analysis to balance innovative activities with sustainable performance. The course helps participants to achieve these goals through a highly engaging environment, using active group discussions, cases, exercises that focus on the participants' own organizations, live simulations, and competitive virtual markets.
Understand drivers of value creation
- Redefining long-term value
- Primary drivers of value creation
- Understanding where your organization currently stands in the value creation process
- Understanding limitations of financial data
- EXERCISE: Construct a value map for your own organization
Communicating value creation
- The 3 C's (Control, Contracts, Culture) of designing systems
- Managing growth
- Balance innovation with sustainable performance
- COACHING: Effective communication of value creation
- Communicating to internal and external stakeholders
Designing systems to drive value creation
- Designing systems
- Translating long-term value proposition to targets and measures
- Motivating employees to create long-term value
- SIMULATION: Data-driven decision-making under pressure with conflicting data
Balancing financial and non-financial metrics through simulation
- Build a culture of long-term thinking
- Decision-making under pressure
- Dealing with ambiguity
- EXERCISE: Design your organization’s own value scorecard
Building action plans for value creation and measuring success
- Simulation wrap-up
- PEER PRESENTATIONS: Action plan for implementing organization’s value scorecard
- Leaders who understand and maximize the value creation process
- Leaders future-focused on value creation
- Aligned corporate goals both within the firm and to external parties
- Streamlined decision process
- Enterprise perspective on all decision
- Better assess the long-term value of decisions
- Make better decisions with less data
- Determine which data is most important
- Learn how to deal with conflicting data
- Discover how best to convert data to useable information
Research Christopher Williams' areas of interest include the role of accounting information in capital markets, the reporting and regulation of financial institutions, and international financial reporting issues. Executive Leadership Christopher D. Williams is an Assistant Professor of...
Gwen Yu is an associate professor at the Ross School of Business, University of Michigan. Her research focuses on how accounting information affects various real economic outcomes, especially in an international setting. Professor Yu’s work has been published in top peer reviewed journal such as ...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.