Who should attend
Our classes typically consist of participants from over 20 nationalities. We believe that this diversity creates the unique environment at INSEAD and enriches your learning experience. Participants cover the full spectrum of business professionals and leaders from the private or public sectors. They are usually:
- Executives with at least eight years’ management experience, who are newly appointed general managers, heads of functions or senior functional experts seeking to build their global and regional business acumen
- Already working in Asia, with strategic responsibility for driving their business forward and growing their teams in the region.
The programme is also ideal for experienced general managers new to Asia, who are seeking to adapt their business practices to the region.
About the course
Two transformative forces are concurrently reshaping the entire business landscape. First, the locus of economic activity has shifted towards Asia because of its consistent economic growth, favourable demographics, and deep integration with the rest of the world. Second, rapid technological disruptions facilitated by technological progress, big data and AI are redrawing industry boundaries and transforming organisations – changing the very nature of leadership and management.
Leading Business Transformation in Asia is a general management programme designed to help senior executives understand, adapt, and ultimately leverage these transformational trends within the Asian context.
This short and intensive programme will provide you with frameworks for structuring your agenda on leading business transformation in your organisation. It achieves this by weaving together a rich blend of essential topics on macroeconomics, strategy, marketing, change management, leadership and decision-making, interspersed with key insights on digitalisation, innovation and entrepreneurship in Asia’s markets.
In just two weeks, the programme will strengthen your business fundamentals and expand your knowledge of the Asian business environment. It will familiarise you with digital strategies and platforms, demystify artificial intelligence and machine learning, and enable you to become a more effective decision-maker.
How you benefit
- Understand the transformation of the global and regional business landscape
- Gain greater insight into business fundamentals and the confidence to lead across functions and geographical borders
- Develop innovative approaches to strategy, marketing, organisational design and change in the Asian context
- Learn to make effective individual and group decisions under uncertainty and strategic interdependence
- Understand which business principles and practices are universal, and which need to be tailored to Asia
The Global & Regional Landscape
The Leading Business Transformation in Asia curriculum covers broad general management principles to complement the already considerable skills and experience of participants. The specific Asian case studies and discussions give these general principles a unique context.
The rise of Asia & its place in the world
- Develop a framework for understanding the rapid transformation of the world economy and Asia's future economic prospects
- Assess economic success stories such as Japan, South Korea and Singapore
- Understand the challenges and opportunities offered by new centres of growth such as China, India, Vietnam
- Explore the possibility of trade wars, global imbalances, rebalancing in China, monetary policy in India, and more
- Evaluate the environment for doing business and identify markets of the future
Going global & becoming local: Strategies for success
- Understand the concept of “contextual intelligence”: recognising the limits of one’s knowledge and adapting that knowledge to a different environment
- Explore the trade-offs between global integration and local adaptation
- Discover how building a true global company requires not only the ability to adapt to foreign environments, but also leveraging its global presence to build competitive advantage
- Understand what it takes for emerging market firms to build the capabilities to compete globally
Developing Business Acumen
Digital strategy: Innovating across platforms & ecosystems
- Recognise new opportunities that technologies enable, and new competitive threats that cut across industries
- Take advantage of key dynamics around launching digital platforms, such as crowdsourcing, machine learning and analytics
- Discover how Asian platforms like Alibaba, Grab and Go-Jek deliver value by building ecosystems and partnering with innovative third parties
- Assess how the above combination enables a new take on what firms need to consider doing differently from what they have done before
Marketing in a customer-centric world
- Gain insights into how firms can address Asia’s B2C challenges of affordability, access, availability and innovation
- Learn how consumer behaviour is similar or different across developing and developed B2C markets
- From the B2B view, uncover how firms can achieve success through client insights, innovative business models and organisational alignment
- Explore how developments in social media, platforms and e-commerce/m-commerce impact new products and services
Achieving organisational re-design via Org 2.0
- Be introduced to cutting-edge applications of machine learning, AI and prototyping
- Learn to use data to answer one of the fundamental questions: who to hire, develop and retain
- Learn to prototype organisational change processes using computer simulations
- Combine the above with A/B testing (a.k.a. randomised controlled trials) to know, rather than guess, which organisational designs will be effective
- Apply these tools to your context – anywhere from the departmental level to the organisational level
Making the Right Choices
Strategic thinking & decision-making
- Learn about the cognitive processes behind systematic biases in framing decisions, seeking information, and in evaluating feedback
- Explore the characteristics of a good group decision-making process, how this compares with individual decisions, and how this can be made robust
- Learn to apply game theory to understand an array of topics, from regulatory design, to market entry decisions, to the prevalence of price wars in Asia
Leading change & high impact teams
- Explore how groups and teams communicate and function, and common pitfalls
- Develop techniques for optimising group and team performance
- Learn to use structural and interpersonal influence tactics that lead to stakeholder buy-in
- Build a toolkit that you can use to motivate change and overcome resistance
- Leverage both formal organisational structure and informal social networks to create momentum for change
Building leadership presence
- Understand your personal communication style, its strengths and challenges
- Explore ways to establish more meaningful connections between you and the people you want to persuade and influence
- Grow your leadership presence and improve your ability to communicate effectively across cultural contexts
V. “Paddy” Padmanabhan is the Unilever Chaired Professor of Marketing, INSEAD-Singapore, and academic director for the Emerging Markets Institute. Prior to joining INSEAD, he was the John K. and Ellen A. Wallace Distinguished Professor of Marketing at the Olin School of Business, Washington Unive...
Pushan Dutt is a Professor of Economics and Political Science at INSEAD. He holds a PhD in Economics from New York University, a Masters in Economics from the Delhi School of Economics, and a Bachelor degree in Economics from Presidency College, Calcutta. Professor Dutt directs the INSEAD Asian I...
Pascal Maenhout is an Associate Professor of Finance at INSEAD. He teaches corporate finance, portfolio theory, and capital markets in MBA, PhD and Executive Education programmes. He graduated summa cum laude from the Department of Economics at the University of Leuven, Belgium and obtained an MA...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Analytics
Read more about Business Communication
Read more about Digital Transformation
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.