Who should attend
The strategic project leadership course is designed for individuals with prior experience in the discipline of project management, including, project management professionals, graduates of the Masters Certificate in Project Management and other similar programs and current PMPs.
About the course
Today’s organizations are looking for tomorrow’s leadership team and project managers make great leaders!
As an experienced PM, the next step in your career could very well take you to the senior leadership level. This three-day workshop will give participants a solid understanding of the three key elements that PMs need to embrace to become enhance their project management leadership skills. Participants will come away from the program inspired to reach to the next level with a new roadmap for their careers – their own professional strategic plan to guide them on the journey to senior leadership.
- Familiarity with the strategic planning process
- Increased awareness of the factors that guide and impact strategic thinking
- Strategic options and mechanisms for choosing the right course of action
- Key business leadership mindset questions to ask
- Systematic ways to identify and assess key business problems and opportunities
- Critical thinking skills using proven leadership tools and techniques.
- Improved efficiency and effectiveness when planning and implementing change initiatives
- Communicating with authority
- How to “pre-read” and present to audiences of all sizes
- Understand the art of science of making and communicating decisions
- Adapt a ‘story-telling’ approach to influencing people
Course content details
Strategy and Strategic Thinking
This module provides an in-depth coverage of the tools and frameworks that are useful in strategic decision making at the various managerial levels of the organization. The development of a systematic way of thinking that enables you to develop comprehensive answers to these questions is a key objective of this course.
- What is Strategy?
- Strategy vs. Business Model
- Hierarchy of Strategies
- Strategic Management Process
- Vision, Mission & Values
- External Environment Analysis
- Internal Environment Analysis
- Choosing the Right Strategy(ies)
- Final Project: Putting it All Together
Developing Your Business Acumen – Thinking beyond Projects
Effective leaders need to think beyond the triple constraints of project management to be successful. They need to develop a CEO mindset that considers a wider scope. This session provides project professionals with the essential concepts, tools, techniques, and skills needed to manage the business beyond the project for successful outcomes.
This module has been developed based on contemporary trends in the business environment: the need to align business management decisions with the organizational vision and values; assessing business problems and opportunities using a deliberate strategic thinking process; change leadership trends and ways to manage resistance and increase commitment to achieve the desired business outcomes.
This session promises a strategic business leadership framework beyond the triple constraints of projects that will enable high-potential leaders learn and apply the fundamentals to succeed.
- Identifying one’s “Business Acumen”
- Taking an Inventory of Your Business Acumen
- Identifying the business problem or opportunity
- Thinking strategically as a business leader
- Applying Critical Thinking Techniques
- Making wise business decisions
- Planning and Implementing Change
- Overcoming Resistance and Gaining Commitment
Leadership in Action
Leading effectively (colleagues, clients, and stakeholders as well as leadership, staff and management) is the key to taking your business initiatives to higher success levels.
- Develop effective leadership strategies
- Decision-making techniques that gain buy-in
- Connect with others to build solid network
- Assess your leadership style’s credibility
Biography Diana Kawarsky specializes in business communications for Schulich’s Executive Education Centre, York University. In addition, she is a facilitator, adult educator, coach and management consultant with Fortune 500 companies throughout North America. Her experience spans nearly 20 years....
Gail Levitt, president of Levitt Communications Inc., is an influential leadership facilitator, coach and mentor with a unique approach that engages and inspires participants to learn and apply both theory and practice for peak performance. Gail offers a wide range of influential leadership topic...
Biography Wissam AlHussaini holds a PhD in Business Administration from John Molson School of Business at Concordia University and an MBA degree from Suliman S. Olayan School of Business at the American University of Beirut. Over the years, Wissam has designed and delivered numerous training prog...
Videos and materials
Read more about General Management Programs
Read more about Project management
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.