Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
The curriculum is recommended to anyone who currently supervises employees or manages team performance:
- Department supervisors in business and government
- Office managers and business administrators
- Team leaders, branch managers and regional supervisors
- Plant and production managers and front-line managers
- HR, organizational training and industrial relations specialists
- Previous participants in supervisory and leadership training programs who want a “next step” program
About the course
An effective supervisor or department leader must be able to get the most productivity out of people.
That’s what this course will help you achieve – productivity gains! This is accomplished using leadership strategies that will engage, challenge and motivate your team members.
In this professional leadership workshop for department managers and supervisors will learn applied skills to increase staff productivity and engagement and discover how to provide strong direction and constructive feedback that gets results.
Leadership Learning Outcomes
- Improve Your Personal Leadership Style
- Introduce new Coaching Techniques
- Use powerful Goal Setting & Time Management strategies
- Delegate effectively to boost staff productivity
- Learn Conflict Resolution approaches to manage difficult situations
- Provide Professional Performance Feedback to staff
- Understand Management Ethics to advance your career
What You Will Learn
- Seven Applied Leadership Skills you can use every day
- Using new leadership styles: discover your optimal communication style using the Personal Style Inventory Indicator
- Effective team motivation: how to motivate others who have different strengths and personality styles
- Goal setting and time management to effectively set priorities
- New coaching techniques: how to mentor each team member for success
- Handling difficult employees: common warning signs and what to avoid
- Managing four generations of workers: how to manage different age and experience levels to build productivity
- Delegation techniques to set consistent goals for your team
- Morale, productivity and attitude: engaging and training your staff to improve their own performance
- Provide constructive, ethical feedback that will enhance employee performance
Unique Program Features
Participants will gain a better understanding of themselves and their teams through the completion of the Personal Style Inventory (PSI), associated with Myers Briggs Type Indicator®.
You will also discuss issues, practice new skills, and participate in team simulations – proving extremely valuable when applying new techniques at work.
Leadership Communication Styles
Understanding Your Leadership Style: Your Personal Style Inventory (PSI)
- PSI tool – How does your style impact team performance?
- The potential strengths of different leadership styles
Your Workforce Make-up: Managing 4 Generations
- The four generations and how they accept your leadership
- What each generation values, believes, and the messages they send
Goal Setting and Managing Time
- The supervisor/manager’s role in setting goals and achieving them
- Prioritizing work and time-management strategies
- Time management strategies
- Identifying opportunities to add value
Leading, Motivating and Engaging Staff
- Leadership today – how it applies
- Motivating others for positive outcomes
- The impact of your leadership style
Coaching and Delegating Strategies
Coaching and Communicating Effectively with Staff
- Key elements of effective listening
- Managing emotional ‘hot buttons’
- Practising your nonverbal style
Coaching to Improve Performance
- How and when to coach
- Difficult employee issues – common warning signs, what to do and what to avoid
How to Delegate to Achieve Higher Productivity
- Importance of Ethics in the workplace today
- Dealing with the Conflict and Difficulties
- Learning to let go and empower others
- Effective delegation techniques
- Tips on how to engage your team
- Involving your staff in setting parameters and timeframes
Managing Difficult Situations
Management Ethics: Their Importance in Your Workplace
- A framework for managing typical ethical issues at work
- Forces involved with ethical behaviour
- Ethics, communication and feedback
Resolving Disagreements or Conflict
- Managing the tough stuff
- Challenging employees to be accountable
- Steps in dealing with disagreements/conflict – corrective not punitive action – counsel & coach before discipline
- Where do we “go” when it doesn’t work
Providing Constructive Performance Feedback
- Planning for feedback that is accepted by staff – having a positive attitude helps
- Pitfalls to avoid
- How to start the discussion, keep it on target, and reach a successful outcome
- Documentation and employee action plans
Biography An accomplished speaker, seminar leader, strategist and coach, Laura Boyd-Brown, BBA, CAE, CHRL, CPSC, has gained invaluable insights in business with more than 25 years of corporate experience. A graduate in Business from Mount Saint Vincent University (BBA), she holds a Certificate in...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.