Leadership in a New Era of Health Care
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with The Wharton School.Full disclaimer.
A partnership between Wharton Executive Education and Penn Medicine Health care is transforming rapidly, from revolutions in science and technology to patient care innovations to major policy and economic shifts. To meet growing challenges in this complex environment, today’s health care leaders must develop the agility, insights, and strategic skills needed to support clinical and academic excellence as well as the financial strength of their organizations.
Wharton Executive Education and Penn Medicine — world-renowned leaders in education and pioneers in health care — have designed a program specifically to develop the next generation of leaders in academic medicine and the health care industry. This program is intended for established and aspiring leaders, both within and outside the U.S., who are positioned to develop creative solutions to the field’s most complex issues, drive change, succeed in an uncertain health care environment, and reimagine the way to health for all.
Program Highlights & Benefits
This exciting program is deeply personalized. It begins before you even arrive — through the completion of an emotional intelligence ability test, an organizational culture audit, and your summarizing of a major organizational challenge within your own setting– which allows you to have tremendous personal data to use throughout the program to foster actionable learning.
In Leadership in a New Era of Health Care, you will:
- Develop the knowledge and skillsets needed to lead effectively in a next generation health care organization or academic medical center
- Recognize where the field is going from successful health care leaders and identify how they have navigated the complex challenges facing academic medicine and the health care industry
- Assess your organization’s culture and receive a personalized report that helps you identify opportunities for change
- Evaluate effective strategies to drive organizational change, including building consensus among key constituents to achieve mission and cultural alignment and deploying state-of-the-art change management strategies
- Appraise your own emotional intelligence, the steps you need to take to become more emotionally intelligent, and how to help those around you succeed.
- Optimize your personal negotiating style to enhance your influence and bargaining power
- Network with academic medicine and health care industry leaders to foster your career advancement
- Analyze the learnings in this program through the lens of your own specific organizational challenge applying your own personal “Health Care Challenge” work; prioritize actionable insights from faculty and team members
- CME: Physicians receive a maximum of 29 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
Experience and Impact
The Wharton-Penn Medicine Leadership in a New Era of Health Care program offers an unparalleled curriculum that will advance your ability to lead and drive change within your organization.
This innovative program provides an ideal combination of lectures, experiential exercises, simulations, small group conversations, personal feedback, panels, and class discussions with Wharton and Penn Medicine faculty as well as with distinguished industry thought leaders. You will have ample opportunity to delve deeply into a personal health care challenge, and gain insight and feedback from faculty and other participants.
In addition, you will:
- Learn how to recognize, understand, and leverage your organization’s culture for best success
- Receive a map for the best way to enact change — which you actually live through in a change simulation
- Discover how to create broad coalitions in order to make optimal decisions
- Hone your negotiation and conflict resolution skills for win-win solutions
- Refine your capabilities in communicating rationales and obtaining stakeholder buy-in
- Improve your ability to productively manage relationships with other physicians, executives, and your teams by assessing and improving your emotional intelligence
- Have access to cutting edge knowledge from medical school deans, CEOs, and top leaders in the health care field
As an added benefit, this program also offers participants the opportunity to earn CME credits. Ultimately, this program will help you achieve optimal leadership effectiveness, which in turn can improve patient and clinician satisfaction, and improve health care outcomes and performance.
Health Care Challenge
A unique aspect of this program is the Health Care Challenge, which consists of four highly interactive sessions where you have the opportunity to share a real-world organizational or leadership challenge you are facing and gain feedback from peers and faculty. Prior to the program you will interact with one of the program’s academic co-directors to develop a description of a complex organizational or leadership challenge you are experiencing. You will then meet with fellow participants in small groups to give and receive feedback. This exercise will give you practice in listening and analyzing challenges, as well as insights that will help you execute change.
Guest Speakers and Networking
One of the tremendous benefits of attending a program like this is the world-class networking opportunity it presents. Not only will you enjoy the peer-to-peer learning and dynamic interactions with other health care leaders, you will also be exposed to the knowledge of prominent guest speakers and panelists from the University of Pennsylvania’s Perelman School of Medicine and Health System and from Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. Hear firsthand from other health care leaders about how they are navigating and handling emerging situations in today’s evolving health care economy.
Presenters will include deans of integrated academic medical centers, CEOs, senior executives, department chairs, and nursing leaders, as well as leadership development experts from Wharton and Penn Medicine.
Session topics include:
- Leadership in a New Era of Health Care
- Understanding Your Organizational Culture
- Driving Organizational Change in Health Care
- Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
- The Emotionally Intelligent Health Care Leader
Who should attend
Leadership in a New Era of Health Care is designed for established and aspiring leaders in academic medical centers and the health care Industry both within and outside the U.S. Participants include, but are not limited to, clinicians, scientists, and other administrative and executive leaders who will benefit from learnings and skill development to respond to the evolving health care environment and/or who wish to foster organizational transformation and alignment. The program is particularly relevant to those who wish to advance their careers to a leadership position and/or have assumed a leadership role in academic medicine or health care.
Job titles or roles may include:
- CEO, COO, CFO, or CMO
- Vice president
- Department chair
- Division chief
- Physician chief
- Nursing chief
- Center director
- Medical school/nursing school dean
- Director of quality management or service line programs
- Other aspiring leaders in health care organizations and academic medicine
The program may also be beneficial for professionals from multiple disciplines, including physicians, nurses, psychologists, pharmacists, scientists, and medical researchers.