This course has no confirmed dates in the future. Subscribe to be notified when it is offered.
About the course
In science and technology-driven industries, the levers of competitive advantage continuously shift. Products and services that are cutting-edge today become obsolete in short-order. Competitive forces keep pushing companies to constantly seek new innovations that can be brought to market in a timely and effective way. In such a dynamic environment, having the appropriately skilled leadership can make the difference between success and failure.
It is vital for companies to develop their technology & scientific managers to a level of superior performance. The Leadership Development Program for Science and Technology management (LDP for STM) provides the advanced leadership skills, operational discipline and business tools participants will require for achieving their ultimate career and company goals.
ABOUT THE RADY SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT
The Rady School of Management focuses on developing executives who understand the languages of science, technology and business, as well as have the skills and drive to successfully move innovative ideas from concept to market. Although both UC San Diego and the Rady School are relatively young, they have already achieved world-wide recognition.
- UC San Diego has been rated the 8th best public university in the nation (U.S. News and World Report 2013) and 10th in the nation of all universities for quality of faculty (National Research Council 2009).
- The university has been ranked 1st in the nation based on the positive impact the university has had on the country (Washington Monthly’s 2012 College Guide).
- The Rady School has been rated as one of the top 20 business schools world-wide in the top level of academic research.
- UC San Diego’s lineage includes 20 Nobel laureates including Harry Markowitz at the Rady School.
- Over the last seven years, Rady alumni have started over 60 companies which have received outside funding and over 100 “intrepreneurial” products or services have been launched within Fortune 1000 firms under the direction of Rady graduates.
Within this context of excellence, the Rady School has developed a dynamic and highly unique educational experience for technology and scientific leaders.
Upon completion of the program, participants will be proficient with:
Exploiting research & engineering strategy to drive the company forward by building competitive advantages in technology
Identifying the drivers of technical and scientific innovation to derive new product strategy
- Customer Value Proposition and its impact on the design and sales of products and services
- Market segmentation, positioning and global brand identification
- New paradigms for customer interaction and information gathering
- Product portfolio management and life-cycle planning & management
Using on-time and on-budget imperatives in advanced product development techniques
- Opportunities for design/development process improvements
- Supply chain design for greater customer value and company financial returns
- Cost management and the operational dashboard for closed loop control
- The 24-hour engineering time clock
Establishing and sustaining a culture of innovation
- What it means to be in charge
- Effective and efficient conversational style
- Difficult conversations and harnessing disruptive impulses
- Building internal strategic relationships
A distinct advantage of the LDP for STM is its unique, immersive program that integrates interactive classroom instruction with individualized and workplace-focused learning in a flexible format that fits the busy schedule of technology managers.
The program consists of two educational formats, held at the Rady School's Center for Executive Development at UCSD:
SESSIONS: 10 days total of on-campus classroom instruction; 3-4 days at a time spread over a three month period. All classroom instruction is highly interactive with lecture, break-out sessions, individual & team exercises.
- Establishing a Culture of Innovation • Advance Project Management
- Mastering Market Dynamics • Building Internal Strategic Relationships
INTERSESSIONS: 6-7 days of workplace focused learning assignments to be completed during the two inter-sessions. These assignments may include, but are not be limited to virtual hands-on components:
- Customer value assessment
- Supply chain evaluation
- Brand image determination
- Return-on-investment calculations
Who should attend
The program is specifically designed for engineering and scientific research managers with the following:
- 8-10+ years work experience and professional achievement in Engineering, Product Design, Software Development, Information Technology, Scientific Research, Drug Development, Project Management, or Product/System Assurance
- Currently in or about to be promoted to a leadership position
- Demonstrate proficiency in English for both written and oral communication
- Sponsored by their company
Applications from managers from other functional areas such as Finance, Marketing, Production and Human Resources will be considered if they can demonstrate a high degree of interaction with the technical areas of their firms.
Trust the experts
Research Areas Innovation New Product Development Operations Management Science & Technology Commercialization Industry Areas Life Sciences Technology Automotive Services Krishnan''s research is focused on science and technology-driven innovation and sustainable growth, new product de...
Research Areas Marketing strategy Consumer behavior Pricing Judgment and decision making Risk and uncertainty Behavioral economics Business analytics Industry Areas High-tech Biotech Defense Amir''s research focuses on using psychological and economic principles to identify successful str...
About the Program High Performers know themselves and learn how to leverage their strengths and those of others with whom they work to achieve remarkable organizational success. This one day immersion in the power of psychological type will help you become a more successful leader, give you grea...
Dr. Ernie Mendes is an organizational psychologist, and an executive trainer. He has been providing training & development in the private and public sector since 1988, working with Managers, Scientists, Researchers, Law Enforcement, Educators, Engineers, Sales & Marketing Professionals, C...