Who should attend
The Financial Planning Certificate Program is designed for anyone pursuing CFP® certification, including professionals in the fields of investment brokerage, insurance, banking, accounting and the law. In addition, professionals from other industries who want to make a career change and are looking for rigorous instruction in financial planning are encouraged to enroll.
About the course
Investment Planning introduces basic investments concepts and focuses on client needs and assessments, particularly as they relate to risk tolerance and exposure. You'll learn investment fundamentals, risks and returns, valuation concepts, portfolio management, asset allocation, pricing models, hedging and option strategies and tax-efficient investing.
This 11-week course is the second module in the Financial Planning Certificate Program and is offered throughout the year on DePaul's Loop campus and online.
DePaul's Financial Planning Certificate Program offers:
- Exceptional instruction- All modules are taught by professional financial planners with either CFP® certification or other appropriate professional license or designation. Our instructors use CFP Board standards as the framework for the modules and add their own exercises, case studies and handouts. This results in courses that combine sound financial planning theory and practical skill development.
- Convenient location and scheduling- Modules are offered on a quarterly schedule at DePaul's Loop campus located in the heart of downtown Chicago. Classes are offered on weeknights to accommodate working students and online for students who seek maximum flexibility.
- Proven student success- Graduates of our program consistently outperform the national average for first-time test-takers of the CFP® Certification Examination. In addition to preparing for the exam, our program equips you to succeed in today's competitive profession of financial planning.
- Types and uses of investment vehicles
- Economic concepts
- Types of investment risks
- Measures of investment risks and returns
- Time-influenced security valuation concepts
- Bond and stock valuation methods
- Portfolio management and measurement concepts
- Formula investing
- Investment strategies
- Asset allocation and portfolio diversification
- Efficient Market Theory (EMT)
- Asset pricing models
- Leverage of investment assets
- Hedging and option strategies
- Tax efficient investing
- Investment strategies in tax advantaged accounts
- Taxation of investment vehicles
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.