Who should attend
This programme is designed for Investment Groups (Chamas), co-operatives, individuals, companies in value addition, current farmers in primary production agriculture, government executives, non-government policy advisors and aspiring investors.
About the course
Food scarcity is not a new phenomenon. Food imports into Africa since 2014 have been estimated at USD 50 Billion. Poor utilization of available arable land fit for agricultural production, post-harvest losses estimated at 40%, declining productivity, farm degradation and poor production management are all challenges that investors in agribusiness are faced with. Other key challenges investors face include difficulty in marketing their produce, managing their farms while working in cities, evaluating viable agribusiness enterprises to venture into, accessing funding from financiers for their agribusiness ventures and falling prey to “fake” consultants, which results in huge investment losses. The Investing in Agribusiness Primary Production Programme will seek to explore various ways of creating wealth in agricultural production, by addressing the various challenges that face primary production investors, and will provide access to financing as well as routes to markets. The programme is also designed to help potential investors develop the right agribusiness investment ideas, equip themselves with research skills in a dynamic sector, develop viable business plans and manage their farm working capital.
The programme will be delivered in two modules that incorporate a mixture of class sessions and farm visits. In addition, the programme will seek to expose the participants to successful entrepreneurs in the production field as well as experts in the financing field and potential buyers.
Participants will be able to:
- Explore market sector data on production value chains
- Develop practical farm plan and business plan for funding if need be
- Understand your products route to market
- Understand the factors to consider in selecting a farming enterprise
- Understand how to hedge risks in agribusiness
- Understand how to structure and manage labor in your farm
- Understand the opportunities in agribusiness production
- Get an opportunity to network with top agribusiness entrepreneurs in the various sectors
Key Focus Areas
- Labor Management
- Farm Layout design and management
- Structuring your finances
- Production Planning and Management
- Opportunities in Agribusiness production
- Successful Contract Production: production perspective
- Successful Contract production: Buyers perspective
- Business modeling and Strategy Formation
- Opportunity Analysis
- Fundable agribusiness business plans
- Hedging Risk in Agribusiness
- Route to Market: Local sales & contract Farming
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.